Adjusting the pitch on a deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Feb 24, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

How do you adjust the pitch on a Scag walk-behind. I want to know how to lower the pitch of the deck 1/4" like what Eric Elm said to do so when you switch to double blades so I can get a better quality cut. Do you reduce the caster spacers or something? If you know please teel me.

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, you would adjust the spacers on the front wheels accordingly as needed to obain the desired "pitch."

i am looking forward to trying this double blade system myself this spring.
  3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

also, from my experiences, a one inch spacer on front wheels will change cutting height of mower about 1/2". a 1/2" spacer will change height about 1/4", and a 1/4" spacer will change height about an 1/8".

i suppose each mower could have different results, but i think thats a good basic rule of thumb.
  4. Height ajustments dont always mean you get the right pitch
    Their are floating deck scags and stiff deck scags
    On stiff decks a lot on things you need to take into account besides the casters on the front wheels to get a pitch
    Tire pressure and also how tall you want to cut the grass
    are factors on stiff deck scags and also the washers on and above the cutter deck bolts where you take the blades on and off.
    If you want a three inch cut on a stiff deck scag raise the deck where it connects to the engine frame from the factory recomended middle hole to the high bolt hole then you can get a 1/4 inch pitch.The front of the deck needs to be 1/4 lower then the back.