Adjusting trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Mar 14, 2001.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

My trailer has 10" electric drum brakes. Can anybody explain how they are adjusted. Thanks. (and the idiot that is going to pull out in front of me in a couple of weeks thanks you too).
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im assuming you have the brake controller in the truck. if i remember right, you have a dial on the right and a dial on the left. the dial on the left i think, is the one you adjust to tell the brakes how hard to brake, and the one on the right tells them when to brake relative to the truck braking. all i do is slightly turn the dial toward me to adjust them looser. hope i got everything right and answered your question.
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific. How are they adjusted at the drum? On the controller in the truck I have it dialed almost all the way.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If your talking about actually doing a brake shoe adjustment, there are slots in the brake housing for an adjustment tool to reach in and turn the adjustment.

If it the brake controller, there are several types, from a slider adjustment on a spring (that's an oldy :) type controler) to thumb wheels on the more modern types.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Ah, I see you cleared that up while I was posting. The adjustment slot will be underneath on the back side of the housing for the drum assembly. There should be a rubber plug in it. Jack up the wheel and turn it slowly as you tighen up the adjustment. Tighten until you hear it rubbing and then back off a bit oh the adjustment.

If you can't turn the adjuster, it could be rusted up. If so, pull the hub off and take out the adjuster and soak it in a penitrating oil to free it up. Then clean it and lube it and put it back together. Check the shoes and magnets as long as it's apart.
    I hope this helps.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got mine up and working finally!
    Blew a couple fuses in the process
    but they work.
    May be from not
    using the brakes for ever but man
    they stink real bad.
    Anybody else got stanky brakes????????????