Adjusting ZTR so it goes straight.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by astewart, Mar 29, 2009.

1. astewart

astewart LawnSite Member

I bought a Craftsman ZTR last week for personel use and it was delivered today.

I noticed when I go full speed on the bike path in front of my house it veers quickly to the left.

Is that something that is common with these or did I just get one where they didn't qa it?

Thanks..

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Take it to sears and have them adjust it. Im sure your warranty will cover it. You wont find many craftsman ztr owners around here, I dont think.

3. astewart

astewart LawnSite Member

Thanks doubleedge, I'll do that..

4. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Not bashing, but it was probably put together by the kid in the back room...lol
    There should be a "tracking adjustment" but I don't know how it's done on this machine, or if there even is one. Did you get a manual with it? Read up...it may be a simple turn of a nut...

5. astewart

astewart LawnSite Member

I did get a manual. It has a procedure to put it up on jack stands, diconnect some wires rotate the control rod until the corrisponding wheel stops turning while in nuetral.

That sounds like an adjustment to set it for neutral not when moving but I suppose it might do both.

6. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it back and let them adjust it. The one bad thing about sears nowadays is they will not give you any service or repair information any more. P**sed me off, sell you all these tools, but won't share any service info with you, so you can use them. The most you'll get from them now is what's in the owners manual, and directions on how to get to the service center.

Truth be told, their stuff is crap anymore anyway, they really shouldn't be in the ZTR business, but they see a market in homeowners, so they build something cheap that you can ride around the yard on. Heck it might not even have any tracking adjustments.

Good luck to you, you'll probably be back there a few times getting the adjustment right. :hammerhead:

7. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Worth a try...:drinkup:

8. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

The adjustment procedure in the manual is correct. You adjust it for neutral. Small adjustments go a long way. First check tire pressure.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Other than perhaps checking tire pressures...

Anytime a machine doesn't work off the shelf, take it back.
    Maybe it is a simple adjustment, maybe it's a manufacturing defect, who knows, who cares.
    A brand new machine should work without a hitch, turn the key and go.
    Now they may not replace it, but the more you fool with it, the less likely it is they would just give you another.

Especially under warranty, less than 30 days, load it right on up and take it back,
    explain nicely the problem and let them have at it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  10. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats all a waste of time they can't fix it. Put it on street with a curb, going full throttle slam it into the curb opposite the side it's pulling. Repeat if necessary.