adjustment help

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by sanfordandsonfan, Jan 15, 2004.

1. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

I just bought a new 48"metro belt drive with 15 hp kaw. motor. I am having a terrible time going up even the slightest of incline. It will barely pull itself up the drop gate on my trailer. I read in the owners manual about adjusting the drive belt. I believe the belt is adjusted properly. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

There are two adjustments that can affect the drive that dramatically.

The first one is the drive belt adjustment and the second is the transmission belt adjustment. The adjustments are pretty simple but often it's more a question of which adjustment is needed.

Here's what you do:

Run the machine up to the hill in question and stop the mower at the bottom. Then release the drive levers and see if it will pull itself up the hill. If it will not you want to look at the two output shafts on the transmission. If they are spinning but the belts to the drive wheels are not moving then the drive levers are out of adjustment. If however the output shafts are not spinning then the transmission belt needs adjusted. This is the belt that runs from the engine to the transmission. Read that adjustment procedure fairly closely because it does not require much tension and if you really tighten it up you can cause excessive wear.

I'd guess you need to look at the transmission belt. If you have any questions on the adjustment call me at 1-800-667-5296. It's a little easier to explain some of the adjustments over the phone while youÂ’re looking at the machine.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Terry. Its probably the trans belt. Takes about 30 seconds to fix the problem.