ADT tie down question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by farmerknowsbest, Dec 15, 2012.

1. farmerknowsbest

farmerknowsbest LawnSite Senior Member

Hi there,

We finally picked up an articulated dump truck to keep our excavator swinging more efficiently. A volvo a25c circa 2000.

[​IMG]

The truck is 500km from home and I'll have to pass 3 active scales to get it home so I want to make sure I am legal. From my understanding of MTO rules. An articulated truck requires 8 chains and ratchet binders. Four on the cab end and four on the box end. Is this correct? I've seen several being floated around with only 6 chains, but I really do not believe that is legal.

Next question is about the tires. I don't really want to run the out riggers on the lowboy so the tires will hang over about 6 inches on each side. I can't see this being an issue but are the tires stiff enough to travel a long distance that way or do I need the out riggers and planks to fully support the tires? Without them 3/4 of the tire will be on the main deck so I think it will likely be ok.

Hearing some of your experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

Looking forward to getting this truck into action. We've got about 110ac of bush cleared so far this year ready to be burnt. Lots to clean up and this truck will really help move it along quickly.

Warren

2. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

8 chains unless you can lock the front and rear sections together mechanically but I would still run 8, and why not run the outriggers? If you have to travel that far, with the knowledge of having to go through 3 scales... why not? Local, I wouldnt bother, but I would for that trip.

3. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Warren,
    Nice truck you got there , taking it from Bolton to you i would make sure you have your outriggers and 8 chains. The MTO on 401 East are pretty strict. Make sure you have your overwidth permit for Kings Highways as well...

4. farmerknowsbest

That's the easy one to get! It's actually free for farmers. The ridiculous ones are the counties. I thought SDG was bad! Peel practically wants to be written into your will!

Really? Only scale that's ever given me issues is Bowmanville East bound.

And rats, guess that means I'll have to un-sieze the out rigger arms. Sigh

Warren

5. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Peel Region is a disaster in General. I have never seen a Goverment so un organzied , and who could care less about waisting others tax money.

6. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

dang last time they hauled one for me they just used 4 chains and binders lol

7. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use outriggers and usually 6 chains to move our Cat D350s, granted that is usually 40 miles and less, if I was going a long way I would run 8 chains and even outriggers probably.

8. farmerknowsbest

Did all the measurements. Only 3 inches will hang out either side. I'm not going to go to all the effort of getting the outriggers installed to use so little of them. 80% of the rubber on the main deck is good enough for me especially with 8 chains. Thanks for the responses.

Warren

9. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

80% is plenty, I usually have between 50-60 on each

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure you cross-chain!