Adv/Disadv of ztr & walk behind?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Glenb, May 13, 2004.

1. Glenb

Glenb LawnSite Member

I’m a home owner with 1.5 acres (will hopefully be adding 2 more acres in the near future) to mow and am looking for a quality mower. I’ve always thought a ztr was the ultimate mower so that’s what I’ve been looking at. Recently I’ve had someone suggest a “walk behind”.

Can someone give me the advantages and disadvantages of both? In other words, does one fit a particular need better than the other? My yard is fairly typical but has about half in front of the house and half in the back. I have a long “curvy” driveway that winds its way to the road and about 12 trees.

Thanks much. Btw, I’m, looking at the Mini-z 19kaw 44”. I hear its good quality and I like its small overall width because I can still park it where I have my mower now. I’m trying to stay open minded however and would like to hear your comments on the two types of mowers.

-Glen

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

For steep slopes or unusual terrain the WB would be a candidate. If you're likely to add the extra turf, I'd be leaning more stronly to the ztr. You might also consider one of the JAZee models (www.countryclipper.com) starting at just under $3200. They're quite rugged and the flip-up deck really simplifies clean-up. For 1.5 acres the 38/42" decks would be plenty (even the 38 comes with commercial grade triple blades and 19,000 fpm blade tip speed). For more turf you could consider moving up to 48 or even 52". Good luck!