1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advance Auto Parts Buy 1 get 1 free sale!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Jan 3, 2007.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys, aap has a sale on some really useful stuff, such as:

Yes, all of this is b1g1f:
    Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil
    Q Torque OR Q Advanced Synthetic Motor Oil
    Advance Auto Parts Totalgrip® Oil Filters
    WEAREVER DOT 3 Brake Fluid
    Advance Auto Parts Power Steering Fluid
    Advance Auto Parts R134a 12oz. Refrigerant (this jumps to $8 a bottle in summer!)
    Advance Auto Parts Brake Parts Cleaner

Hope that helps someone, I'm going tomorrow and stocking up for the year with some of this stuff - It's like investing my money at 100% APR lol.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

not to start an argument.......dont you have to have an air conditioning permit to buy freon? I know with the r-12 you did because I have one. Ive been out of mechanicing for a while and havent purchased any lately.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

no permits needed for 134a.
    and those sales are great for personal vehicles, but the write-off's are helpful for work vehicles.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

thanx BSD, I have the guages and all, just havent had to add any to my vechiles. At that price Im gonna have to pick up a few cans.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

we got the ad too today. I think matt said the sale is good for a month, and in small print it says, "we reserve the right to limit quantities." I think matt is gonna pick up some of the oil.
  6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I never understood the spend more money for write off's theory. I am new at this, is there something that I am missing?

If you make 50000 in a year, and write off 20,000, you make 30,000 and pay taxes on 30,000 and keep the rest.

If you make 50000 and deliberatly spend extra money to write off, say
    $5000, and net 25,000, pay taxes on that, don't you have more money if you didn't intentionally spend more oney?

I understand buying a truck, or something fun for yourself because writing it off is like getting a discount, and may put you in a lower tax bracket, but paying double for the same oil at Advance so that you can write it off?

Someone please enlighten me (As I said, I am new, mabye there is a reason?)
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

as my accountant says "every little bit helps".

For the new-comer it may not be the best way to go, but you're certainly welcome to do whatever you wish.
  8. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

In rare instances where you may have just barely broken into the next tax bracket, it may make sense. Other than that it is a mistake! The key to write offs is not to spend more so you can write off more, it is to find ways to write off stuff that you would be purchasing anyway.
    There are times when at the end of the year you may discover that you are going to be liable for a large tax bill because you did really well. Sometimes a good accountant will advise you to purchase inventory or equipment this year so that you can write it off in the current year in anticipation that your tax bracket might be lower in the coming year. It does not make sense to pay $10 for a $5 item just so you can write that extra $5 off. Look at it this way - if you are being taxed at the 50% rate (I doubt many of you are) and you spend the extra $5 unnecessarily. You get to write that $5 off which gives you $2.50 back (50% of $5). Now, I will let you decide if that is a good investment or not.
    If anyone decides yes, I would be more than happy to write you a receipt for any amount you want to spend - just send me the check!
  9. topsites

Well, it's a little bit like this...
    More than one reason, really...

Once I got past 20-25k / year, I found I had a problem with having too much money... First, I have to pay around 30% taxes on every dollar that did not get spent. But if I purchase supplies or parts or equipment, although I still have to pay business property tax on it, it's far cheaper and it's an investment AND a nest egg to fall back on during hard times.

It IS an investment to buy synthetic oil (or any supplies) at 50% off.
    If I buy the entire next year's worth of oil at 50% off today, that's like investing my money at 100% APR as everytime anything needs oil, I am using oil that everyone else gets to pay full price for, and everytime I use a quart, I get my money back double.
    That, and it really reduces my cost of doing business which = lower prices OR more money in my pocket.
    Compare buying supplies at 1/2 price to paying 30% taxes, and you might see why I get so excited about it, as that really stretches the dollar.
    Because yes, this is likely the better example of 'it takes money to make money.'

I also found money in the bank just isn't as safe as supplies. Because everybody wants your money AND *I* myself tend to spend it, but a lot less folks will be interested in your lawn mower blades AND I can't spend those :laugh:

Look: I've got cases of oil downstairs (and I mean cases, probably close to 100 quarts). This is just one example, I've actually got somewhere close to 3 thousand dollars worth of parts and supplies and tools, etc...
    Now, say we have a drought or a LOT of competition come along and business gets really slow... Since I've been through this more than once already, lets say business gets so slow that you can barely survive AND lets say it lasts more than a month (say it lasts a year or two). Not to scare you, hard times usually last 3-4 and maybe 6 months, but I've heard 1-2 years does happen (and what if it does?).
    Those Lco's who have not built up their nest egg may not be in business afterwards, and after the drought or the hard times is when business usually makes a come back AND after most of the rest are out of business THAT is when you make a killing due to sky-high demand (because there's hardly anyone left to fulfill the demand)... The longer the hard times last, the less Lco's are always left afterwards and the stronger the eventual surge.
    But, you can't predict it, so you gotta weather out the rough so you'll be already in place when the good times start.

Now I see a LOT of Lco's attempting to chase the good times... They go off someplace to work or whatever, as they figure they'll just jump right in when the good times start and skip the bad stuff - The only problem is, by the time they get jumping, the good times are already about half over.
    So with a loot of supplies (more is better, 2-3 years worth is recommended), you will most likely be one of the few who can finally benefit from the good fortune from the git go, because as with bad times, good times are limited too.

And in business, all of the above = more money = more profit.
    Hope that explains it.
  10. topsites

Here's the thing:

Oil Filter AA3614 fits both my 15hp Kohlers (and may possibly fit some others).
    Oil Filter AA4967 is what I put on my 25hp V-twin Kawasaki ( (and may possibly fit some others).
    Oil Filter AA16 fits both my '86 and '95 Dodge 3/4 tons.

Because since I run synthetic oils (which is also on sale lol), I would much rather use $1.44 filters than pay $7 to $10 each at the dealer or HD / Lowe's.
    For those wondering about the quality, I use AA2870A on my '88 bmw 325 and been running these filters for a few years now.
    But I do run synthetic oil.

This is also one of several ways in which a business is able to acquire materials at 1/3'rd of retail, or way below cost.
    Some folks may think we get special deals because we own a business, but that is not as easy as it sounds.
    Fact is I can not just walk into any store, flash my business license at the clerk and then load up on whatever at 1/3'rd of retail...
    Awesome as that would be, the entire wholesale bit unfortunately does not work quite like that.

It takes time and research to find this stuff that we can then use at a cost far lower than what most people pay (including other Lco's) and is what enables us to keep our prices so low that the competition screams 'LOWBALLER' when in reality you're not lowballing at all. Then, when you get tired of them screaming, you simply charge what they charge and really rake in the profit.

In short, it makes your business mean, and lean.
    And when I find some deals anyone else can use, I pass them on.
    Whether you chose to use this or not, that is entirely up to you, nobody said you had to (but I have to lol).