Advantage of Walk-Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenStreet, Aug 21, 2013.

1. GreenStreet

GreenStreet LawnSite Member

I have always used zero turns. Previsouly, a 61" 1995 scag, and now a 60" Ferris (I just use a non-commercial push mower for the small stuff). Maybe it is simply because I have no experience with them, but what is the advantage of walk-behinds/standups? ZTR riders seem so much easier.

Thanks!

2. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

It completely depends on what kind of terrain you have. Wide open flat turf, a Z will do well. Small, hilly terrain and a Z is useless. The standers are very comparable to a Z. Currently we are running 5 walk behinds , a Vantage , and a Laser.

The Vantage is for sale and the Z gets used 1day a week.

A lot of guys run a Z simply because it is easier. In my opinion, putting a Z on a 5000 sq ft lawn is a horrible idea. But if you need to get the work done fast and aren't really concerned about how it looks then a Z is the way to go.

Look at the big companies. What are they running? For the most part , walk behinds, there is a reason for that. They are more versatile.

3. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

Advantages: Cost, weight, hillside stability, and trailer footprint just to name a few.

4. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

Not saying a big ZTR wouldn't be nice just don't see the need at this point for my company.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You can cut every yard with a WB.

6. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

Cheaper to buy
    Cheaper to maintain, less to break
    Easier to work on when something breaks
    Less weight and footprint on the lawn, less apt to do turf damage.
    Still high QOC many times they run the same decks as the ZTR. Ultra Cut, 7 iron ect..........
    But on a 90-100 degree day on a open area I wish I had a ZTR!!

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you can cut every yard with a ztr or a pushmower 21". no need for a walkbehind in my experience.

8. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

One word 36 inch gate openings, nuff said. :cool2:

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i can see if you mow alot of gated backyard properties how they could be handy. hardly any of my customers have fenced in backyards. if they do the fence opens up wide enough to fit the ztr through.

10. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Swamped yards.

First time cutting an unfamiliar yard.