1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Advantage of Walk-Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenStreet, Aug 21, 2013.

1. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Had 3 of the snappers over the years. 2 48's and a 52. Love those machines and the handles.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yes by why spend 1 hr mowing a lawn when you can get done in 30 minutes and it looks just as good when you get done?

i mow every one of my customer's yards with a ztr mower. everything from 1/4 of an acre up to 3 acres.

3. IRRITECH

Well good for you.

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I love the loop handles. I wish the newer models still had them. I've put a little over 50 hours on the machine so far this year and I like it much better than the old belt drive model. Plus less turf damage with the ability to do true zero turns.

5. IRRITECH

Question, can you fescue guys run those pretty stripes at full speed?

6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on how long the grass is and how bumpy the lawn is. If its real bumpy, you need to slow down as the stripes make it very obvious if your geting thrown all over.

7. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

We sure can't with the bermuda down here... The lawns would look like leopard print from all the scalping due to bouncing.

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

This thread comes up year after year. It all depends on your lawns. 1/4 acre lot is huge in my world. 90 percent om my lawns you could not use your z on. They are all gated and too small to warrant a large mower. I use nothing but 21's and my actual mowing time is around 15 min per lawn, I have no use for a z on these small lots. I think wb's are far better for something under a 1/4 acre. Most the time these smaller lawns have no wide open space and are full of obstacles such as swing sets, bird baths etc.

9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I run belt drive WB's. I bought them new in '98. A 36" & a 48". I know reverse doesn't work I just don't get into situation's where I need it. I have run Z's but it seemed like half the time they were parked beside the truck while I used the WB. In my area in the north Ga Mtn area there are very few flat yards. It's just what seems to work best for me in my location. With that being said I have a friend that runs 2 Exmark 60" Z's only. No push mower or WB's. I don't see how he does it.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yep. i said a ztr and a 21" can handle everything. if it's that small of a yard a 21" will do just fine. a walkbehind just adds cost and maintenance and you really wouldn't get done that much faster on a tiny yard like that using a 32" or 36" mower.

if anything a 30" exmark pushmower would be a better option for those types of yards.