1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Advantage of Walk-Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenStreet, Aug 21, 2013.

1. JR's Lawn Service

JR's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I picked up a big account for next season and after deliberating on it for weeks, I am going to buy a Snapper pro, 36 hydro walk behind. I like my Toro 3000 ZTR just fine, but it won't handle these east TN hills very well. I know there are many variables, but what can I expect to pay for a decent to very good used one? And if you happen to have one, let me know. Thanks

2. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you in East 10-E-C ?

3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be happy with your purchase... Coming from another Woodall with a snapper pro 36 ;)

4. JR's Lawn Service

I am in Sevierville TN..just down the street from Gatlinburg if you are not familiar. And another Woodall in the business on here with a snapper pro.. I was born in Georgia...wonder if we are Kin, not a common name. Yeah I hope I can find a good deal on a decent one so I can mow these hills better. You want to see some hills and crazy terrain this is the place.

5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Could be... We came from AL (weiss lake, centre area). I have a 2007-2008ish 36" hydro with floating deck. I used to have a late 90's model 36" fixed deck belt drive before this one. You'll pay $4k for a brand new one and around $1-2k for a used one. I paid $1k for my old one 4 years ago, used it for 4 years and sold it this spring for what I paid for it. Got my current one for $1400 which was an absolute steal for the condition it was in. I was going to buy a brand new one this year but came across my current mower on craigslist locally. I know sevierville, TN pretty well. My ex's relatives live on the lake in sevierville.

6. JR's Lawn Service

Umm, I grew up in Alabama, specifically Mobile. We lived in the Samson area as well..interesting. Reference to the Snapper mower, I want to spend around $1500 to $2000 so that sounds good, hopefully I can find a used one that has been taken care of well. I treat my Toro better than I do my truck, so I know about taking care of equipment and how to tell if that is the case. Thanks for the info.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Big companies go this route because a WB can be bought for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a ZTR. The suits buying the equipment also go cheap because it is not their legs getting hammered everyday.

The best mower is the mowers that you need to do your customers property's.

8. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

We have 3 walk behinds but we mostly run our 2 ztrs most of the time because my 2 man crew can get done faster with them. But I have to admit that there's nothing better than a good quality hydro walk behind. If I was a solo mowing guy I would use walk behinds most of the time.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Advantage of walk behinds, moral superiority when posting on the lawnsite.

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I know a guy who walks 50 lawns a week with his 48" WB. Right about now in the season he is calling me to mow for him while he cant walk with shin splints. Why walk when you can ride? I need a WB for properties but would never solely run one