Advantages/Disadvantages of installing a well.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Carolina Cuts, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

besides the monthly water bill being cheaper.... is there anything else to consider?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Upfront cost. Sandy water killing sprinkler heads. Strainer cleanings. Water tables dropping.

3. Carolina Cuts

not sure of the 'average upfront cost' down here... have any ideas?
    that I can live with... small property. Inexpensive heads.

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Well driller should have run pump, clearing sand and debris - but we run them 15-20 minutes before hooking to system anyway.

Advantages:

1. Not subject to pressure/volume fluctuations like domestic water supply.
    2. Usually not subject to water restrictions.
    3. Better use of resources - saves domestic water supply - usually draws from different aquifer.
    4. No sewer charges.

Disadvantages:
    1. High installation cost - wells here go from $1K and up.
    2. Mineral content in water may lead to staining/odor problems, and be expensive to treat.
    3. Can't think of any others - we love pump-and-well systems here.

5. Carolina Cuts

sounds like you would recommend it....

I was just curious.... before I start looking into it more seriously.
    My neighbor mentioned last night that his side.... (near by) had one put in.... took less then an hour to install. (supposively) was under $500- for everything.

my water bill in the off season $30/month.
    my water bill now.... clear land, no trees, no shade ALL hot sun... not an oz. of rain in 3 weeks........ irrigation often to keep it from drying up.... $150+/month.

Debating if it's worth it.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

My drinking water well was 4500.00

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Drinking water wells require a lot more work than irrigation wells - testing for contaminants, etc. And are ususally MUCH deeper.

Prices I gave were for complete P&W package - just the well runs about 500.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Do you guys use PVC points? Wash them down? Up around here, it would be steel points hammered in.

9. Hustlinfireman

Hustlinfireman LawnSite Member

Carolina, I am in the southern part of robeson county. Every system in the past year that I have installed has been to a well, with the exception of 5 in harnett county. Here in my area I have 3 differrent well guys that I use. 2 for shallow well work and 1 for deep well. the shallow well guys use either a wash down method or a small rig that one has. All of our wells in the area are between 22 - 50 ft depending on where we are. those wells produce anywhere from 12- 30 gpm. Deep wells we have are all 4-6 inch work. they are 50- 110 ft. producing 12- 45 gpm. I love wells because of low power bill instead of high water bill. My shallow wells run me anywhere between 350 to 500, plus pump. deep well 1500 to 3500 and that includes pump.

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

There have been 200+ wells put in for Irrigation in Atlanta and lets just say they were not 500 dollars.
    Most spent in excess of 7k too have them installed with the correct pump.
    The well companies here do not test the water after drilling.
    That is up too the home owner.
    They drilled 450 foot through a solid piece of granite at my house which started at 30 foot down and ended up 650 foot deep.
    If you have a shallow well here they just will not support an irrigation system on average.

It is amazing how different it is too have the same job done in different areas of the country.