1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Advantages of a walk behind?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turf Helpers, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Turf Helpers

Turf Helpers LawnSite Member

I'm currently looking at equipment. I notice a lot of big guys have a ZT and a walk behind in their equipment lists. I would assume the walk behind is for steep hills and mowing around small open areas like a neighborhood median, etc.. I would think that a commercail walk behind is too wide to get into fenced yards... so you still are going to need the ole standard 21" push.

Here's my question... I am not sure I am going to purchase a ZT, because if I do it's going to be used and probably not going to be adequate in a year or two. I'm thinking about purchasing a commercial walk behind but wondering what I'm going to do with it after I get a good zero-turn.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

After you got the zt you should keep the walk behind. Trust me you will find a use for it as you continue to grow

3. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you do big properties, a 36 walk behind is great, very versatile and still fits most gates. When you get a ztr, the 36 will still come in handy, especially if you get a helper at some point since you can both mow on larger properties.

4. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

My 60 inch fits in most gates. I think I have 2 yards where it doesn't. Most modern fences have big gates.

5. Turf Helpers

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still up in the air with what I want to get first. I'm guessing if I find either one within my budget ill snatch it up. There is a 32" walk behind at an auction this weekend but I hate to drive all the way down there and waste my Saturday to only come home empty handed.

6. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

in my trailer i have a 21" pusher, 36" WB, 48" WB, and 56" ZTR all of which get used every week

7. Quix

Quix LawnSite Member

I have used an Exmark 52" turf tracer for last 15 years. 2 years ago I got my 1st ZT, still 52". With all the rain we have had the ZT stays in the shop. The walk behind is a lot easier on the turf when its soaked and doesn't get stuck near as easy. I will always have a walk behind, to me it's my "go to" mower.

8. Quix

Quix LawnSite Member

Forgot to add...... Hydro is the only way to go IMO.

9. Turf Helpers

I hear you about mowing with a walk behind when stuff is still soggy. Got to chuckle at some lawn company who got their ExMark stuck in the front of my addition. There were two supervisors trying to explain to the kid driving how to wiggle the machine out of the mud, in the meantime tearing up the grass even more. Granted they may have been using it as a "learning experience" but it looked more like they didn't want to get dirty. lol.

10. crichardson

crichardson LawnSite Member

Walk behind for crap yards, hills yards with small gates, etc. I have a 36 turf tracer and a 48 navigator and 21 Honda hrc in my trailer. I started with a craftsman push.