advantages of stock or gator blades

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, May 7, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Last fall I purchased a new Hustler fastrak 52/20. I bought gator blades for it, along with the original blades. The gator blades have not come off yet. The cut looks fine to me, but would the stock blades do any better for the lush spring grass? What are the pros and cons of each type of blade? Is it simply a mulch issue for leaves in fall? Is it normal to run gators in the spring? Any advice or comments are appreciated.
  2. I'm trying to figure out the same thing.......
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My Toro 36" fixed dech was mowing terribly with gators. It left a stipe of grass up the middle uncut. I when to high lifts and that solved the problem. I may try the gators doubled with high lifts this fall for leaves.

My 61" Stander currently has single gators. Doubles were bogging down to much......the singles are working pretty good..

I always have to do alot of trial and error when I get a new mower. Next I will probably try 2 standard lifts and a high lift on the discharge side.....

Gators tend to discharge smaller clippings which disappear easier.

In the fall gators will reduce leaves to dust. Especially dry leaves.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i run gators on leaves only it does wonders on them... but then again i run the gators double
  5. Thanx for the info.... I think I'm going to double them up, one set of standards and one set of gators.....
  6. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

It would seem that running doubles would put a strain on the spindles. I hear and read a lot of people do this, but does it have any effect on warranty or spindle life?
  7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Double em up and you will never go back. stock hi/med lift on bottom, gator's on top. As for spindle life, the effect is minimal. Besides you are running a "commercial" grade mower and is designed to last hundreds of hours. If you are using this for your yard, you will probably wear out before your mower does..:)
  8. I've got to pick a set up Wed... I'm going to try to double them up...... Im not exactly sure how to do it on a toro but I will figure it out......
  9. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Thanks dwost. I will put them on like you suggested tonight. We got a lot of rain here the last 48 hours and things are growing real fast. BTW, was in Defiance, Ohio all day yesterday. Is this close to you?
  10. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

doubleing them you have to make sure you have enough engine to push them i am running a diesel grasshopper and it doesnt affect them but i think the stock h/l do a better job on regular grass it doesnt windrow it