Advertise 'Sustainable' lawns

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The word 'Sustainable' has become more mainstream of late and perhaps the goal of advertising should go towards that. The word 'Organic' has become old and tired in the minds of most people and the expectations of what it is varies so much.

2,4d is not 'sustainable' by definition, but could be considered a harmless short cut to get where people would like to be for their lawns, their pets and their children.

Eventually homeowners would understand that the 'mow, blow, and go' guy would be doing all the fertilizing necessary by leaving the clippings behind. Alot of money can be made just by working toward that end. Once the grass is established in a good environment it is king and no longer needs our 'inputs'.

This applies to quality loam soils (perhaps not wash sand or pottery clay) which can be built over time and that is where the money comes in. Also - I am not saying that 2,4d is harmless to pets and children. Getting lawn owners to look past the chems into the long term would be a great lesson in 'sustainablity' for all.

I start the ad campaign in a couple of weeks so if anyone would like to comment I would appreciate it. Good or bad comments doesn't matter. :)

2. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like a good twist, new way to say an old theory. I like it.

3. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Using the word "organic" in ads can be a conundrum. I've had people who assume that means everything I use is OMRI listed, which Im willing to do if folks are willing to pay, and others assume Im pulling up with nothing more than a load of compost made from my own karma-free vegan feed livestock. Which Im not willing to do even if I could.

Organic lawn care lags well behind organic food production insofar as we're able to define our own terms and even in food production there isn't a single definition everyone can agree on. I don't know that its all that important though.

It seems to me that a lot of homeowners with kids/pets have a deep, gut level distrust of chemical apps and thats what I try to respond to without being alarmist or over the top.

The most successful flyer I've done had this phrase at the top:
    "Is Your Lawn Addicted To Chemicals? Break The Habit" Boom. It addressed the customer's concerns without being too wordy and my phone rang off the hook. Use it if you'd like as long as you're not in the North Shore of Chicago. Then I'll have to knee cap you:laugh:

4. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

lol, down here I probably could put whatever I wanted as long as it said something about it being healthy to your kids and pets and organic. I'm looking at a company whose products are for the most part edible. There are a few that aren't. But I was not only thinking of using a picture of a kid and dog laying in the grass but maybe even a pic of someone sitting at a table with a fork full of lawn about to eat it saying something to the point that our chemicals are so safe you could eat them for dinner. Or something, I don't know, just a thought.

5. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

my new company name works that in.....EarthWorxs......sustainable land management..what do you think of that:weightlifter:

6. Smallaxe

I like all those ideas. It could read:
    "Your lawn addicted to chemicals? Break the habit"

... a Picture of a dog eating the grass, which they often do and a little kid , imitating the dog, which they often do...

Then the ending caption: "Working toward sustainable land management"

The phrase, 'sustainable land management' has tone of authority and professionalism, but may be over the top? Impression of gov't heavy handedness? I don't know.

7. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

Oh well it is what it is, maybe it has to do with the "AIRBORNE" background. Guess I will find out when I dont get any calls.

8. Smallaxe

I , personally, was impressed reading it , it spoke authority in the field of sustainability.
    Then again, I am Marine so what do I know about appealing to the advertising sensibilities in the general population.

I should even have opinions about my posts, before I post them, :)

9. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

drive on devil dog and thanks, yea appealing to general public might not be my strong suite, but i will get the job done right.

10. Smallaxe

"...get the job done right." , is what appeal to the general public most :)

Thanks for the input - I am going to give that phrase a try.