Advertisig question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Braxton, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

I just started my company this year; I've been advertising in the local paper and passing out fliers for about a month now. I have bid four landscaping jobs and gotten two of them and a let me think about it on one and a "let me check finances" on another (Which I beleive I'll get), but so far no response for lawn mowing. I would like to get at least ten accounts, this being my first year. Is it just too early, or do I need to do something different? I'm in Middle Tennessee.

Braxton

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Braxton, We are in NW Pa and still have snow on the ground. We are just now starting to advertise, but I'm sure there is no snow down there. So keep plugging away, keep advertising. Try the flyer thing, newspaper etc. Try cold calls to businesses to see if they are accepting bids for lawn care, if so bid away. :waving:

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Well, as a general rule of thumb, from reading on this site and others flyer will have ~1% callback rate. I would plan on sending over a 1000 flyers cause as you have experienced not every flyer callback will turn into a customer.

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I put out 118 flyers for a short period this morning, and they've generated 3 calls so far.

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'm in North Central Alabama and from my experience people don't really get excited about their lawns until about 2 weeks into warm weather.

I would advertise lawn clean ups now for Easter. You might want to mention easter weekend in your add. Most of my lawn customers want everything looking good for the company on easter Sunday.

good luck

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing too ask when it comes to Landscaping .... at least fer me is ...??

What is your budget ??

As far as lawn care ... charge what you need too cover ALL cost n make some $$

After that ... it's all good

7. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

Any other southerners have advice here?

Braxton

8. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

best advice is to just keep plugging away at it, eventually you will get some calls.

9. CWilliams

CWilliams LawnSite Member

Braxton, this is our first year too. We started advertising in the Smoky Mountain Trader the first week in March. We have not received any calls yet. We have 6300 flyers that will be in tomorrow's local paper. So, hopefully we will start getting some calls next week. I have been sending post cards out to certain subdivisions. Next week I will be distributing flyers.

Our fear is that we will advertise too late. So, this is the week that we will start getting more agressive in our advertising.

No one is mowing here yet. How about there?

Good luck.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the hardest year I feel is the first year that you actually "want" customers. It's weird, but when you don't want customers they always seem to come, but once you start to market for customers nobody wants to come. At least that is what I have experienced