Advertising 2009

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nnj18, Nov 26, 2008.

1. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

So I want to hear some thoughts from you guys on this. I have $6000 to spend; what would you spend it on?

2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Savings
    Savings
    Savings
    Equipment
    Operating cost
    Advertising
    Savings
    Savings..........

Get my point. Cash is king in this economy. Save and make wise decisions. Purchase equipment that fits your properties. Not what everyone else has.

Advertise only what you know you can do. If you can't do it don't advertise for it to get calls.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id buy BEER

4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Lettering your truck.
    Brand
    Brand
    Brand

Then maybe some direct mailers

5. nnj18

oh I have alot more then $6k in the bank guys....im not an idiot :hammerhead:

I was thinking like 5000 direct mailers, a few nice newspaper/local news adds, letter up the truck and enclosed trailer (when I get it).....I'm looking to add 40 new customers (basically double what I have now) I did the math and I need atleast 75 for me to get a crew out mowing. I hate mowing and would rather be out selling or doing installs.

Also any equipment I buy in the future will be financed.....been paying cash but I'm done with that, got no-where doing it that way. I've spent over $17000 on equipment with cash and that does NOTHING for your credit. I'll take the payments, but anyway back on topic. sorry :waving:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  6. Green Finger

Basically 6 grand for 40 customers. Why Don't you advertise and find some who is trying to sell their client list, offer them 4 grand and pocket the two. Save yourself the hassle.

Just my two cents

7. nnj18

I hear yah man...I've been looking to buy some accounts but so far the two guys that were selling out locally were crazy high on wouldnt budge. The one actually never sold even 1/2 his accounts and 5 got my door hangers from earlier in the year and called me up signed for next year. :D I mean 40 accounts is what I'd like to get, if I get more I'll take it.

I'd rather advertise though to get my name out and BRAND myself. Everything has been word-of-mouth until this year and I did 5000 door hangers, 1000 business cards, shirts and those "got leaves" signs.

Even if I did buy 40 for $4000 which is cheap considering most guys here want around $200+ per account, I'd still spend that other $2k on advertising just to see what it brings in.

8. Green Finger

True

Try ValPac for advertising good results.

9. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

do the newspaper and letter the truck and trailler up and do some flyers mabe a phonebook add

10. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I think you would get better info on marketing from reading a book than asking people on here. You will probably get some good info on here, but then there will be that guy who has never advertised in his life giving you his advice too!