Advertising Aeration only business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MME, Mar 30, 2001.

1. MME

MME LawnSite Member

We own an aeration only business. Since we don't do any mowing, we were wondering how some other aeration only business' advertise and gain new customers? Welcome to any ideas.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Why do you limit yourself to aeration only? You probably turn down tons of other lawn work.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

How do you expect to survive without the stress and furiosity of the mowing game???

I have to agree with Bob. You should be offering other services as well. If you are not interested in maintenance how about Renovations: Power Raking, Aerations, Over-Seeding, Lime???

Just out of curiosity, how much do you average per thousand square feet of turf area serviced for say a 10,000 sf lawn?

Good Luck this season!
  4. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

How long have you been doing this Aeration only biz? I never heard of anyone doing that before. I do it as an extra service and I know there is no way that I could survive on Aerations alone. Please elaborate more on your business.
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your idea is great if you are in the right climate.

I know a guy in Portland Or who is a retired firefighter, and does really well with a Chevy s10 and Ryan aerator.

He stays busy as a bee. Great business- LOW LOW overhead and high $ per hour for aeration.

BUT- Portland is a large area, and he knows a lot of people.

In a small town in a dryer area, this idea would flop.

Best of Luck!
  6. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

If you are in the right area, it is a gold mine. Here in Atlanta I can aerate warm season lawns in the spring for 12 weeks and aerate/overseed fescue in the fall for 8-10 weeks. And believe me, getting the work is simple. In those 22 weeks I can make more money than I would if I had a full plate of mowing accounts for 40 weeks. Aeration is definetly our niche market. We also do sod and fall cleanups, but aeration is our focus. It is quite an easy business with low overhead. We own two Ryan LA IV's and two ryan LA V's, and should be able to keep them for about 6-8 years with very little maintenance.