Advertising and Lawn Signs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Emerscape, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

Ive been in business for a little over a two months now but out on my own for about a month (long story). A lot of the companies down here use lawn signs, usually a 18 x 24 cloroplast sign with a metal stake. I went to a sign shop and the quoted me $250 for 10 signs and also another $250 to letter two doors on my dump truck... are these prices unreasonable?

also... a lot of my customers are higher end residentials, ak Duxbury type.. but some are just regular middle class. How should I go about asking to put up a sign? How long should I leave it up? and Do you offer a discount if the customer allows u to place a sign by the road on thier property?

Thanks for any help ..

2. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

You can do better than that. Have you even called any other places about pricing? you had better get in the habbit of calling around or you will go broke really quick. And don't be afraid to ask for a discount. Lots of mom & pop operations will give you a break to lock in your future business with them. I have signs up all over town I don't usually ask I just put them up and the only one that has complained was the schools because taxpayers don't always understand why they don't have the janitor outside doing it instead of us. try this for your signs they are cheap but good enough to get your name out. ask for a free sample
  3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

over here for 250 I could get 25 signs
  4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

some of the best prices i have seen so far is at havent placed my order yet waiting for our new logo... magnetics for truck there are half the price of local shops.
  5. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

<Flame Suite On>

Owning my own (new and really small) sign business and trying to start a LC started, I can cee both sides of this....

You want to get the best price on your signs to save money.. I can dig it,

but then are you really doing anything different than customers that only want to pay 25 dollars for a 35 or 40 dollar yard when they can look around and find Sanchez and Jaun to do it for 15....

Or are they (The Sign Shops) being """"Scrubs"""" because they are way undercutting each others work to make you signs???

Or is that only ok, when it suites us???

Just like you, you have talents for your field of work, you do good work and spend a lot of your hard earned cash to run a respectible business... So do they...

You can spend just as much asctually more to set up a sign shop if you want to do more than just a basic corplast: and thats running out of your own house, not even thinking about what it cost to actually keep a store front open...

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I can see both sides of the fence on this one...
  6. Emerscape

I understand what your saying... But as far as placing them on customers property... do you ask them, give them a discount or what ? thanks for the help
  7. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I would strongly advise against this idea.

• People don't want advertisements in their lawn
    • They're expensive
    • Other LCO's will tear them up (I've seen it happen)

I would suggest getting a bunch of door-hangers and passing them out door to door.

If you were to do the sign idea, yes, give them a discount.

Just my 2 cents! :p

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Are We Talking Putting Signs On Landscape Projects Or Just Maintenace Accounts ? In My Contract I Have On The Bottom Of The Page A Piece Stating We Put Job Signs Up. We Usually Only Do This On Reseeding /aerating And Seeding Or Other Major Work ( I Do Not Do Mowing Or Hardscape At All.) I Usually Tell The Customer About It. If They Say No Then No Big Deal.
    Some Towns Have Laws About The Duration A Job Sign Can Be Up.
    Some Developements Can Too. Expect A Few To Be Stolen Or Otherwse Conveniently Disapear.

Definitely Get A Design That Someone Can Read While Going 40 Mph Or Its A Waste Of Money.
  9. Emerscape

I guess it depends on the job... any hardscape or landscape installation. Probably wouldnt bother with my monthly maintenance accounts. .. luckily my girlfriends mom and dad have two houses on main roads so i was going to put them up there as well. just trying to get an idea.. people up here just put thiers everywhere.. id definetly use my judgement and put them on a job thats noticeable