1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

advertising and name feedback please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Billpa, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

I have two things I’d like to get a little feedback on.

I’ve been working in the business more or less part time for years (yes I pay taxes and insurance) and Have decided to expand this coming season and take on a actual business name instead of working under my own name. I have gone to the proper website for my state and it appears that the name I had in mind would be available for my area.

First off how would you go about the challenge of advertising with a new business name and at the same time letting it be known that you have been serving the area for years?

Secondly, what do you guys think of the name Creative landscape Design? So far it’s the best I’ve been able to come up with but from what I’ve read on the board some guys seem to be concerned about their name focusing on one side or another of the business when they offer landscaping and mowing services. Should I be concerned about this with the above name as it really doesn’t imply that I offer mowing services or am I just over thinking this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

first thought that comes to my mind is that you are a high-end landscape designer and not a maintenance company. worst case scenario, have it be:
    Creative Landscape Design & Maintenance

regarding letting people know that you are not new, just ad a line to your ads of something like "Formerly Bill's Mowing", or avoid sounding like the same small guy by simply adding "Established in XXXX". if told they've never heard of you, just let them know that you used to be Bill's Mowing.

3. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

I pretty much thought the same about the name but I wanted a somewhat high end or more professional sounding name as I hope to pick up more high end customers, I think I have enough low end or middle class and want to focus more on the upper class as we have a lot of low ballers or “scrubs” that will cut or landscape for as low as 8 to $10 per hour and some of these guys actually do a ok job, not quality but some are just that, ok. with the economy up here many people will take an ok job over quality if it’s going to be 1/4 to 1/5 the price. I know every town has this but I think we have more than our share here. I’m hoping to keep from using words like maintenance or lawn care in the name but if I’m so concerned about sounding like I do both I may not be able to go without them.

Also I’d probably want to just do like you said and go with “established in 1998" as I was trying to stay away from coming off sounding like the little guy as you mentioned by saying “formerly Bill’s lawn care” . The only thing that concerned me was that it’s a somewhat smaller town and didn’t want people to read my ad think it was a false claim since they had not heard the new name before. I believe I’m probably worrying about nothing regarding that though.

I’m glad to see other people are thinking the same things I am.

4. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Just put in your name "Lawn & Landscape Maintenance"
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the new name. Here are a couple of variations.

Creative Lawnscapes

Creative Lawn and Landscapes
  6. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Lightening lawns, I think we have to many guys around town with that idea already so I wanted to set myself apart from them a little.. Thanks though.

Mo Green, good variations :cool: I’ll keep them in mind.. Thanks

I also tossed around the idea of Mountain view lawn and landscapes before I came up with the other.
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I like Mountain View, too. Very original. I don't think I've ever heard anything like it.
  8. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

man this is a tough decision. I told myself I have to commit to something by the end of the week since I should have already been to the printer for new cards.