Advertising angle...”NO HEAVY SIT DOWN ZTR’S OR LAWN TRACTORS that tear and rut .....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Ok before I get flamed here:

Many of my customers have flat out told me they DON’T like them on their lawns. They have tolerated them in the past....but don’t like them.

My BOP mowers have one of the lightest foot prints in the industry for their deck size. 32, 36 & 44. Less impact on soggy turf than even a 21” mower.

And I might add that the quality of cut with my Quickie 32 running the highest lift blades when bagging [OREGON ® 99-127’s] delivers a outstanding cut that is better than any 21” mower...yes even better than my yBravo 25. I constantly get compliments on the cut quality running this combo...often from people you think could care less.

So......my question is how many of you have attempted this marketing angle....? I’m thinking some will answer, “you will attract nothing but PITA customers with that marketing angle” or “you can’t make ANY $ running WB mowers.

There was a thread awhile back about “who uses only WB’s and some of the same reason were given. Many of the OTHER big name WB out there are heavier than the BOP mowers that I run.

I will also add I have zero interest in chasing account where other mowers are more efficient on. I would call it competitive advantage and not limiting myself for future growth.

Your thoughts and input....?

:waving:

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

To me it's a BS angle because our ZTR's actually rut less than WB's due to larger tires and more surface area and yes I think it's a PITA magnet who don't have a clue but still are Know it alls. I decide what's best for a lawn I can't have a client tell me what to use and how. Yes there my boss to a degree but there paying me to do a good job. I've fired many people like this and they are often chronic problems that find a kid or desperado to obey them always w/disastrous results.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I use this angle for getting mow clients.

The problem is that the general mow and go client doesn't care. The only people who do care are the ones who want the best looking lawn/garden on the block.

Though I don't advertise that angle, it still gets me a random mowing job each year that includes full ground maintenance.

The mower I use is a ride-on, Simplicity 34" Coronet. Extremely light, no rutting, and the bagger system works just as good or better than any Walker I've demoed in the past.

I do charge more for my type of mowing, but that price goes down if I'm doing full grounds maintenance to where I can make more than enough money and the mowing I can keep within the market ballpark.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

When a customer starts off by dictating what equipment I use I will politely pass. In the past I tried to accommodate these types but they never want to pay the premium required for taking up more of my time. Too many people try to break down the price into an hourly figure and then feel cheated when you are done in 15 mins. Proper operation and cultural practices eliminate the so-called tearing and rutting issues.:usflag:

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I belive a gravely 34 ZTR will rut more than a BOP Quickie 32.

I also know a C model Walker with narrow tire that are needed to run the 36" deck will rut more than my Quickie 32

No need to mention the 32" Wright stander rut fest.

Part.of what I'm getting at is the smaller lawns can.be more profitable than bigger lawns requiring bigger mowers, trailers and.trucks.

Less capital investment and higher profits.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Patriot Services is right on the mark.

7. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

It might get you some interest, but don't count on it making a real difference. I cut two yards in a nice upscale neighborhood. Small frontage lots with narrow side yards but big back yards. Everyone has lots of elevation. I cut with my 36 to avoid scalping and getting in the neighbors yard when doing the narrow side yards. My two yards look the nicest in the hood. Several residents have asked me to cut for them, same reason, big mowers rut and scalp. My price is $50 and the guys who do most of the others charge $25. So out of about 150 homes, only two will pay a premium to have a nicer cut and I've got both of them.

8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

amen!!!!:):):)

9. It's a double sided coin. I see companies here that use huge 60" Dixies on yards that need a 21". I'm sorry but that leaves a crap result. I think it's a good marketing tool IF the customer understands it takes longer to use a smaller machine and are willing to pay EXTRA for this. If they want you to use a 21" on a property where a 36" is just fine but don't want to pay for this, see ya later. But if they are willing to pay extra, I have no problem with that. I agree with what someone said about less capital investment. I would rather have a property with more trimming or zoysia or hybrid bermuda where I can use a 21" just fine or my Tru-cut vs. bigger machines that you need more $$ to maintain and eventually replace.

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You won't know until you try by running the ads. As long as you get your $$ rate, you can make your money...maybe more.