Advertising another's business on my trailer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mudwisr2, Nov 29, 2007.

1. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about offering to a SELECT few people the opportunity to advertise their business on one of my trailers. I already have one asking me how much and is ready to get a sign made (he is a home-builder who uses me for the maintenance of his 'for sale' lots and properties). This plan will be executed in a professional way so I dont look like a clown going down the road.

My question is HOW MUCH? I have heard that stationary billboards are going for like $2 square foot per month. That wouldnt be much of a profit for me. I would like to figure out a "per sq. ft." rate if possible but keep it fair for the advertisers too.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

It really depends on the area. What does a 1/4 page yellow pages ad run? How much does a 1/4 page newspaper ad run? I tihnk it should cost him at least a few hundred per month for your trailer.

I'm just trying to think of when my dad advertised on a big billboard downtown Toronto right along the main downtown freeway. This was a while back.... I think it was about $40,000/year like 10 years ago.

Its really a wierd piece of adveritsing to sell, it will take some time to figure it out. Does he have a budget in mind? That could be a good place to start.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I guess I would be thinking $75-$100 a month. I mean it's no sweat off your back. And it will likely make you stand out...never seen anyone do this so people would likely notice the multiple signs on your truck.

Sounds like free money to me.

4. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I think to start, you need to make a clear distinction between advertising and an endorsement. You aren't driving a taxi cab or a city bus that switches ads out every couple of weeks. What you plan to do is the equivalent of a client asking you to recommend a builder and you giving them this guys number.

If you don't agree with this assessment and you think this will be a strictly hands off advertisement then in my opinion you shouldn't do it.

How much should you charge for this "endorsement"? Not to sound flip, but, whatever the two of you agree on. The number might need tweaking over time until everyone is happy. It isn't going to cost you anything to put his sign on your trailer so you could do it for free if you wanted. On the other hand, you aren't gaining anything by doing it so you can charge whatever you want. The middle ground will depend on how visible your trailer is and how many leads he might expect to get from it. It seems like it might be a bit risky for him so somewhere in the $2 - $3 a square foot range might be a good start. Whatever you decide, as part of the deal I would compel the builder to give you accurate figures as to the number of calls he gets from the sign and how those lead play out. If it turns out to be a money maker for him, it should be for you too.

I would be interested to hear what you decide and how it works out. Good luck.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i thought about this a few years ago. we had a lil room under our big signs and i was going to offer it mainly for bizs that we mowed, but never really took it beyond that thought.

6. mudwisr2

anyone else??

7. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I think if the spot clearly said above the advertising that these people trust you to maintain properties during construction. That would be another BIG plus for you because when people drive-by your trailer and see that and then they see the other contractors jobsites. As long as it all looks good, you'll all look great!

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Do an even swap.... space for space.

9. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

I don't think it's a good idea. why not spend the effort advertising yourself more on your own trailor and promoting your own image rather than someone elses. if you have extra real estate on your trailor use it yourself.

i think all you'll do is create confusion for your customers, dilute your own marketing, and have another hassle of something to collect on that takes you away from your core business. Like, you'll have to take orders, put specifications on size and quality of the ad, deal with complaints, collection....i.e. not lawn care stuff.

you have to ask yourself: what are you, and advertising company (like lawnsite.com) or a lawn company??

10. mudwisr2

All I would have to do is hang the sign and get a check each month. No big deal. There should not be too much confusion b/c he is a custom home builder, not a construction guy. As far as promoting me...I see your concern. Thank you for the ideas.