Advertising Campaign Failed... now what?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by coif_kid, Apr 4, 2005.

1. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Basically, I put out almost 8000 flyers and only received 9 calls. Simply put my campaign failed. So the question is what do I do to generate more work. I have enough work to break even for the year, but I do need some money for personal spending when I'm not mowing. Your opinions?
  2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Many,many variables here,

Did you flyer the demographics of a customer that wants a lawn service?

Was your flyer appealing(caught the attention) to a potential customer?

Did you pay someone to put out 8000 and they put out only 800?

Do you answer the phone or is the number a voicemail?

Are your potentail customers in the "needing a lawn service now" mindset?

Hope this helps. That's why good marketers make the big buck! They look at the entire picture and are able to capitalize on it.

Good luck

3. jedMeister

jedMeister LawnSite Member

Knock on some business' doors, property management offices, old friends houses, school district offices, churches (Im a god when it comes to selling to churches). Do anything to get your face - face to face combat is the best way to get accounts. Dont be shy and send out flyers, they do not work for the time and money you spend.
    This is my first year as owner of my own lawn care business (i worked for another large company for 13 years and the owner retired and decided not to do it any longer, he made tons of cash off of us!), and i just talked to every frickin person I knew and it has paid off huge. Ive gotten over 50 accounts in a matter of weeks, and Im not low ballin. Im selling myself and quality over any crappy price and people eat it up. Just show up with a smile and you will get as many as you want. I also sold cars for a year so that training was great for selling.
  4. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

part time job?

a business does not always jump off to a great start in year one...there is still plenty of years left.
  5. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

This is my second year, so I do have quite a few customers from last year. I decided to go with a better looking flyer wtih my cell phone number on it instead of my regular home phone number. Other than that I targeted the same areas at roughly the same time. I only received maybe a quarter of the response compared to last year. REally dismal
  6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's still early, people will call into the next couple months
  7. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Yeah it is certainly still early. Also do good enough work to get some word of mouth business, as that is the best way to get customers. You may want to think about offering discounts/free cuts to customers that refer other customers to you. Give them some incentive to spead your word.
  8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

were you too early? you are a few hours north of me, and campaigns just recently got into full swing here.
  9. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I still have 7k more to spread
  10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

similar here. i've got another 20k going out over the next week, for a total of 37,500 over a 3 week spread.