Advertising campaign

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bennett scape, May 17, 2008.

1. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

Hi all I got a good flyer printed and copied 500 times, and was wandering how to pass them out IE door to door, mail box flag, throw um like a paper boy or put them up in commercial places any info useful. thanks. :) :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

2. Bennett scape

no suggestions?

3. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know what works best for sales , but i can say i do not
    like strangers approaching my house as would be done in door to door flyers .

4. Bennett scape

also is 500 flyer's enough or should i do more?

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

10k is a good number, it seems to be the sweet spot where printing per flyer gets cheap also delivery per flyer gets cheap. I have flyers delivered as inserts in newspapers for about 4 cents each if I have 10k delivered. About $420 bucks for 10,000 flyers delivered and it's probably cheaper in the States.

6. Bennett scape

10,000 that seems like a lot plus i am only one man and can not afford that kind of money right now. Also i wish to stay small and not expand a great deal. As i have no kids or wife and dont plan to have ever!

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

IT's kind of late in the season to Just start advertising,

but if your a 1 man crew, just go put them out door to door

8. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Depending on your area....the rate of return can be pretty small. You could get 10 lawns off 500 flyers but don't be disappointed if you don't get a single phone call either. I sent out 5,000 post cards and only got 5 phone calls to date...but don't let that dampen your motivation. I have heard guys on here talk about getting 10 lawns from 100 flyers.

With that being said, what exactly is the "perfect" time to start your advertising compaign? Just before the grass needs to start being cut? Right after? Months prior? Anyone? I didn't mean to hijack your thread but thought it was in line with your questioning.

9. I have found in FL that around mid-March everyone's figuring out what to do for the upcoming year. This was in Jax, so maybe in Bradenton, by the beginning of March?

In IN, we spent the money on advertising around the 10th of April once the weather started to break and the most calls were from then til the first week of May.

10. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Thanks escient....I didn't start my mailing until maybe two weeks ago. I guess I just didn't think that extra two months was that big of a deal, but I have since learned my lesson. I spent about 2K mailing out 5K postcards. I have only recieved 5 calls total. Like I said, learned my lesson. Next year I will follow your advice.

And on a side note, I really liked Jax,Fl. I lived there for three years when I was in the military about 8 years ago.