Advertising Disasters

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 11, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just curious, dollar spent vs clients gained, what is the WORST form of paid advertising you have ever tried?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. mownlow79

mownlow79 LawnSite Member

Yellow pages

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

A...FREAKIN...MEN!!!!

4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

we did a display at the local ACE Hardware store. And, it looked great until
    they put all kinds of flowers, baskets, birdhouses and whatever else need a place to be seen. You could not even see the pavers. Got one call in
    two years. O, and we did 300 square feet for the owner for FREE! to get
    the space.

As I still shake my head......what was I thinking?

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.com

5. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

yellow pages - sbc bunch of crooks, and to many advertisers in it.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Dang, that was the first thought popped into my head when I read the title and it was taken, several times over! LOL!

Next year YP ads will be ONE LINE ONLY, just need my name there and that's all. F all the rest of the waste of money lines and large ads there.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I found the local phone company directory to be a great advertising forum. All customers who called this year were asked where they got our number, and I had all but 4 tell me the yellow pages. 2 said my truck, 1 said a customer, and the other said a competing phone book (who messed up my ad this year and will not get any more of my business).

I intend on doing the ad again this year. 400 bucks a month, but the new business generated more than paid for it (many times over,in fact)

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

spent a bundle in the news paper and only got 1 call in 1 month . that guy wanted a job .

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I had worked for another LCO previously and pretty much made a mental note of his disasters so I wouldn't screw it up :laugh:

Probably the worst was a local version of Val-Pak that he sunk a lot of money into and maybe generated 3 calls...worst part was he did it again the following year :dizzy:

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Three:

- Years ago, advertised in the Classified section of a paper. Do NOT do this!
    Classifieds attract customers looking for high school kids, and lawn 'boys.' Yup, the whole lot, nothing but comedy.
    - Last year, the Yellow Book. A LOT of money for maybe a dozen calls, at least half of them from telemarketers (that REALLY ticks me).
    - This year, Craigslist... Thou I didn't know it, it's a Classified listing LOL! I am still dealing with that, to the point I'm not even answering the phone if I don't clearly recognize the number.