1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advertising for smaller lawns only

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eggy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Why don't you want a 36" wb? you could find a decent belt drive for $1000 - $2000. it is so much better than a 21" push.
    I would definitely pass out flyers in the areas you want to do.
  2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I would not limit myself to small lawns. It is obvious that to do 5 acre lawn with a 21" is not wise.

Though the goal should be to as many lawns as possible so the money can be made to buy bigger mowers. So it will be a struggle to do 1 acre property's though in the end you will have the biger mower to keep doing it and many more.
  3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I can definitely see doing smaller yards. around here 1 acre is $60 to $70 tops in most cases.
    However .1 to .25 acres is $25- $40. There are various advantages to doing only small yards, as well as advantages to having a huge mower and doing large yards too..
  4. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not opposed to mowing larger lawns. I don't even remember how long 1 acre takes with a 21". But, it will take a while to save up for those larger mowers, and then I'm not sure what size I would buy, because anything that can't fit through the gates means it won't help me on all the small to medium size back lawns. So I'm wondering how much time a 32"-36" would save me on a 1 acre lawn? It's still going to take longer to do the edging.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And who looks in the newspaper for lawn care?
  6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know. I don't think that many people read the newspaper. And same goes for the yellow pages. They tried to call me and sell me an ad. lol Their marketing was an OK idea (you only pay if you get calls). But it was too much per call. I think it was $20 or $30. Maybe if I was doing landscaping jobs I could afford that but not for mowing and trimming! And I still don't know who reads the yellow pages. lol

I've had some people tell me to use bulk mail targeted by zip code, or coupon packs. Those might be worth looking into.
  7. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Newspaper advertising was great 15 years ago. Same with the phone book.

Pass out flyers, get a cheap website, craigslist, backpage....the list goes on and on and on. It can be done, just advertise like crazy.

I have a 2 man crew mow many smaller yards, and can tell you this....everyone else is targeting smaller yards. There is A LOT more competition with smaller yards because of the cheap equipment needed and anyone with a 21" can do it. When I quote larger yards, its only me and a few others involved giving the customers quotes because of the bigger mowers needed. The choice is all yours on which direction you want to go. Either way, it takes a lot of advertising.
  8. mdean_74

mdean_74 LawnSite Member

I am a one man operation. I have a 60" CZT Bad Boy and a 22" Craftsman self propelled.

The push will wear out faster but I will make a killing on it. I paid $250 tops for it maybe three years ago. Before I started this business. If I can take care of it and get maybe 100 cuts minimum out of it for $35 per cut. That's is $3500 less the cost of mower and gas.

I am in an area that gas plenty of small and big yards. I like to do my small yards at one time and will put everything in the back of my truck. Saves gas money by not pulling my trailer. But it makes me look smaller by not having my trailer set up with me.

I can do a pretty open acre in an hour with my ZTR. But i can do a my push mows in 40-45 mins and have a whole lot less overhead. So do the math.

I am going to try and get more smaller yards.
  9. Tn Turf

Tn Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Find an area where you see several lawns that look a bit long to you. Then unload your mower from your vehicle, push it with you as you hit every home. Simply knock on their door and tell them you'll mow their grass for $x amount. My price is $5, but some people charge their own rate.

If your price is low enough, you'll get a lot of cash jobs. Make sure you have them sign a waiver before mowing.
  10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

Oh boy. Solid advice right there. Lol. Waiver?

Posted via Mobile Device