advertising help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by True Cut Lawn Maintenance, May 31, 2006.

1. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Im in need of advice, im struggling to pick up any work what so ever, i advertise in local papers and stil i get nothing except tire kickers, what can i do this late in the season?? i need the work and the money bad as im uneployed at the moment. Thanks in advance

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would get out and start flyering big time if I were you. We received a lot of work last year from local papers. This year not so much. We have advertised heavy in the papers. We are going to be getting back to our flyering campaign.

3. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I don't have a lot of experience, but I have always just passed out flyers door to door. It might take 100 - 200 to get a single call, but spend all day passing out flyers and you might get yourself a couple of jobs.

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

do you need a solicitation permit to pass them out door to door??

5. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I've never even thought about it. Who's going to stop you from doing it anyway, though?

6. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

Local Establishment

7. gardengnome

gardengnome LawnSite Member

If you walk door to door you can put out about 100/hour. last year i put out about 3000 with less the 0.2% response. this year I am doing better, somewhat. When you do flyers, consider timing, the actual service you are trying to peddle, the presentation and repetition. You need to build name recognition, so you are better off to target a few neighborhoods with repeat distribution then a once a year all over town.
    Consider add on services to boost sales and ask for referals from the people you already have

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

1. Ask your customer for refferals

2. put out door hangers in area where you will be working and let people know when you are in the area and you will pick up new accounts. Then make sure you answer the phone.

3. stop by any lawn that has tall grass and give estimate, knock on the door and ask to cut it one time....works great after a huge rain storm. Espcially when it rains on the weekends.

call your exisiting customer and ask if they have any extra work.

I have found you will never grow if you are afraid to ask for new business.