Advertising Idea......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well, first of all let me say that I live in an area with a local Military Base. Now before you guys go get all huffy puffy let me say that the military has done a lot for keeping this area alive. But the area has a lot of litter.

So.....here's my idea. Maybe one Saturday next month have a "Help Prevatte's Lawn Service clean up the area day". I would provide the trashbags, hopefully the county would kick in something, some coffee, doughnuts, maybe some free T-shirts and other assorted goodies and have a community day type event.

A couple of brothers who are Chiropracters (I know I know) are doing this sort of thing and I think they are advertising geniouses. They will give you a free T-shirt at the drop of the hat and are involved in many community projects. THey have only been in the business here for a short while but their business is booming.

Now granted I would be limited on the "freebies" but thought that I might get out and try to get some other businesses to join the effort and help with the funding.

What you guys think about that one????

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is a good idea! Although I think having your name in the title is a cheesy, shameless plug.. If you care about the community, people will find out who organized it. Why not call it " Community cleanup day" sponsored by your local business community.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think it's a great idea to get your name out there. Good for the community. Here Sheriff Joe takes care of a lot of that stuff with the prisoners cleaning up litter. The only coffee and doughnuts are the ones that guards are eating, lol .

4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Cheesy shameless sometimes equals business. I think that sometimes you have to do what the others don't to get the business. I have never heard of any of my competitors doing anything like this.

I was thinking.....get my trailers out there, lettered with my business name and that would be great advertising.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

While we are on the ideas of advertising ideas, I was thinking of having a "property make-over" contest. Call the TV station and for 2 weeks they could run a 30 second spot about "who has the dirtiest property". The winner would get a clean-up, free of charge by Progressive Lawn & Landscape. Of course it's not free. I would have got all that tv exposure. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is my imagination. I can just imagine the most awefullest looking place I have ever laid eyes on. Might be a good idea to go in with a tree trimming business on this one. Just a thought!

6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I like that one. It would have to be a dirty property for someon that is truly needy, and in a decent neighborhood. It would be a shame to have all your tools and equipment stolen while trying to do a good deed. And for the project to not be taken care of after completion. Kinda along the same lines as extreme makeover on tv.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I agree. It would have to be in a decent neighborhood and not some landlord that let his property go to to crap. If fact, I would want to have part in the decision.

8. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

We have one of those in my town. Several local business' get together and pick a home in the bad end of town. We have contractors working inside and out. It is given a spot on the news and t-shirts are made with all the sponsors on the back. I helped the Turf app. co. I was working for before I started out on my own.

9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Next year in honor of our Vetrans Day, my company will be doing free clean ups for an entire day for all Vets in the area I live...I'm solo now, but I already have 20 friends who have agreed to volunteer that day. It will be a nice thank you and I hope to make it an annual tradition

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

last veteran's day, the dayton paper had a piece on several lco's that got together to help with the local veteran's cemetery. had a nice pic of a guy mowing or trimming, and they listed the business he worked for, but sadly did not list the other participating companies.

tony