Advertising idea

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Let it Grow, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

This is just an idea, but tell me what you think. I'd like to advertise this on local fliers.
    "Name your own price"...I will put that on the fliers, then a customer can call me and give me thier price for mowing thier lawn, and I can look at it and then tell them if I'll accept it.

Tell me what you think.
  2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

kinda like and name your own airline fare, huh?

i have a feeling you may be rejecting a lot of those prices

buy i wish you luck

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Interesting...never thought of doing that. I do hate it when I give an estimate, and the customer says "Is that all, I thought it would be higher..." The potential is there to make more of some jobs than you might otherwise. If you try it, keep us posted...
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I may reject some of them, but I think most people would almost expect me to reject their price, I mean if I was looking for a lawn care company, and saw this ad, I would try to get them to do it for as cheap as possible. So I think many people will give me really low prices, not really expecting me to accept them. Which is actually just fine because I can tell them that I can't do it that cheap, but I can do it for this amount, and tell them my price for doing it.

I think it may just be another way to get me in contact with more prospective customers.
  5. Breyerconstruct

Breyerconstruct LawnSite Member

Maybe try it in a limited area?
    See what the results are, w/o going full-bore & getting tied to the phone w/ a lot of wasted time.
    Just a thought.

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

we did that for my replacement window company once during the winter. we had excess capacity for december and january (typical downtime) and it actually worked well. we did have a line in it that said "if you take us seriously, we'll take your offer seriously". don't know if it cut down on the ridiculous low-ballers, but we did approx $20k from it, in a time when we would have done maybe 7k.

i plan on doing it again, and rolling out one for our seamless gutter division.
  7. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Hi Tony what is involved with your gutter service do you need much gear - ? we ar ecoming into our slow period and maybe this would help ? Cheers
  8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

it's actually a gutter fabrication and installation division of my remodeling company, so the roll-forming equipment can be fairly expensive ($15-20k for the machine alone).
  9. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Tony thanks i guess i was thinking more of gutter cleaning etc removing leaves from them
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i worked for a gutter cleaning service a couple years ago in the winter months. all you need is a tall ladder, rake, broom, garbage bag, and 200' of hose.

don't bother bringing backpack blowers up, it makes a mess and is way too dangerous.