Advertising in FLOODed areas?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I cut lawns in the city, but only for specific people. Trenton, NJ is all flooded out in most spots near where i cut lawns. Id assume some will contact me for debris removal but i took a look and most arnt areas that were hit with rising water.

Would it be unethical to advertise somehow for tree cutting, cleanup etc in these areas currently under police watch since the rising flood waters have most houses half under water? Im not looking to give people $400 bills for cutting up one tree but it could keep me busy for the next couple weeks morning to night ... I advertise mostly by flyers so i guess as soon as the water comes down ill try to pass some out.

2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Opportuinity is knocking...

3. Rob Dob

Rob Dob LawnSite Member

They are going to pay someone to do it. Better jump in there and get it while you can.

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

They will be needing people to help...... your flyers will make it easier to find some one, most will be to busy maybe( ones in yella pages or whatever).

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that is what happens after every hurricane, it's just business. now go get some money man!!!!

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It's good money But I would only do it if I had employees who could do it without my supervision....

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

offering services for those in need is a non issue, it's all about how you aproach it.
    Gouging is dispicable,rendering a service during crisis at a "reasonable " rate is good. When I say reasonable during this type situation, in my mind it means a somewhat reduced rate, not unprofitable but less than might be normal.

Just my patriotic take on it I guess..............

8. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

i kinda had the same feelings here when i passed out flyers after a big storm we had. i drove around looking for people with trees down and stuck one in the mailbox. i felt bad until i drove past a house and the homeowner was out in the yard talking to a guy from some tree service. it was literally like ten minutes after the storm came through. the guy must have went out looking for trees while the storm was still going on. following monday there was a crew from the tree service there clearing it out. i dont feel so bad now.

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

A buddy of mine went down to NO after they got hit...3 months after being down there he already owns 2 big dumptrucks and is making a killing. Someone has to do the work so go for it

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

well so much for that idea. Police have marked off the miles of flooded areas, they require even to WALK onto the area of the homes, to get registered at some high school up the road.

I go there and the lady asks me what my contractors liscense # is, lol, Im like my drivers liscense? shes like no your registered right? I said yeah, but i dont have my business ID on me. Shes like no you need to be registered with consumer affairs. wtf. so i explain that ive been a registered business, carry residential insurance of 250k and pay my taxes every 4 months lol, shes like you cant do business in NJ without a contractors liscense, lol, ok, whatever, ill find out what this will cost next week, state is closed this week anyway due to budget problems with jerkoff politicians