Advertising in yellow pages

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by workaholic, Dec 28, 2003.

1. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Does any body have good luck with advertising in yellow pages?

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I had very good success.Had to weed out a lot of "just looking" folks but also retained 3 decent sized commercial properties.After 2 seasons I took the ad out since I had more work than I was willing to handle.Make sure when the commercial accounts start to call you have all your insurance and licenses ready to go and have a fax ready to go.I probably faxed my insurance info to 30 commercial accounts voluntairly to show them I was a serious company in this for a living.They were all much more willing to interview with me and it made it much faster to get my foot in the door.

3. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

my boss at my summer job adertises in the yellow pages and has gotten fair results. however, it only works well if you get a full page ad with graphics or if your name starts with an 'A' because they are listed in ABC order......and if your at the bottom of the list-chances are the people will have found someone by the time they have gotten to your name.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Workaholic,

Here is a quote from this post.

"our ad is somewhat expensive... but the good news is we have tracked revenue off of this investment and as of right now it is running 80 times that of the investment."

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Be prepared for "tire kickers" from all around town. That and the cost are the biggest two cons of the YP adds.

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Just put my ad in the yellow pages and waiting for publishment to see how well it will do. I expect "bargin shoppers" and "tire kickers." But it is worth a shot. My ad is a 1/4 page in Full Color. Name starts with P of course but the actual ads like mine are few so it will appear near the A's
    Good luck

8. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn LawnSite Member

I just recently placed a 1/4 page full color ad in my local Yellow Pages directory. It is through Verizon. In the yellow pages, this is how it works with Verizon anyways: If your ad is bigger or more expensive than the rest, you go first in the book or in the order of how much money you spend compared to the others. Ingenious huh?? Verizon knows how to make money! But any way, there are only 4 other Landscape companies in my directories and some have been in there for along time, but now my ad (first time ad) will be bigger and come first before all the rest. All of their ads are black and white, poorly designed, and smaller than mine. I am expecting a good return on my ad, but no one can be sure! I know I got my fingers crossed!!!

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My advice for yellow pages ads is always be careful to not bite off more than you can chew. I had a 1 inch ad that brought in more calls than I could handle. I shrunk it down so as not to bring in so many calls. I don't want to get a bad reputation from not being able to take care of new calls for estimates.

:D

10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

how much could i expect to pay for certain sized ads?