1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advertising Incentive ( Discount?)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by aquamtic, Apr 12, 2004.

1. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

I am placing together a new brochure but would like to add some type of incentive as a promotopn such as:

$150.00 Off Systems Install ( Minimaum 2500.00 system)
    15% off Seasonal Startup,
    Referral Discount??
    etc \etc

WHat have you guys used that seemed to work well. Please attache any sample of your flyers
  2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I don't offer any type of discounts, percentage off, freebies.....

I simply offer my bid, take it of leave it
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The only discount I am giving anyone is if my existing customers want to prepay for a fall blow out at the time of the start up. If they were paying my regular rate of $54, I am marking it down to $48.
  4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we do 'deals'

$50 start ups (up to 6 zones)...fall closings $50 (up to 6 zones)

$149 rain sensor installs...

be creative...you want to build your service business...that is where real net profit lays.

5. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Brian- These are the ideas I'm looking for-

These little incentives can go along way.

So we might loose out on 50-100 bucks upfromt- But we need to look at long term profits and the referalls we will get out of these new customers.
  6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We offer coupons or incentives in the beginning of the season to try to drum up some new business... but a lot of times I will jack the cost up on other things such as pinestraw, mulch or a cleanup to get the money back. I also offer coupons on aerating in the fall but will increase the cost of grass seed. It makes the customers feel they are getting a good deal though.
  7. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

you are never 'losing' money.

you are simpling 'trading' dollars. you take a little now, and hope for more later.

this is a popular business choice. does it work? it depends on other factors as well, such as support systems (people to answer phone when calls come in), ability to produce the work (service techs), and collecting money (billing system).

lay the foundation, and start slowly. the rest will come.

8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

What do you all think about a no gimmek campaign. Advertise by saying I dont do gimmiks, dont give you a coupon and then make it back and then more somewhere else. Do you think a campaign like that might work, atleast to working class people??
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like to give discounts to gain new customers/clients. I constantly get new customers without a coupon/discount. But I would rather reward my existing clients that contintue to use our services every year. The systems that I turn on and also winterize each year have now become so routine, plus we have made improvements to them over the years, that I do give them discounts because of loyalty and ease of service to their system. A lot of these systems I can turn on, adjust, and set timer in 15-20 minutes as long as the client doesn't talk my ear off. So instead of a $50 service call fee, I will sometimes reduce it to $40-$45. And the little old ladies that just adore me and give out sweet rolls (which I hardly eat anyway) get good discounts as well, even though they don't ask.