Advertising Incentives?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BrandonH, Dec 30, 2003.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I'm planning on going full time into lawn care this next year and am starting to think about what kind of ads I will be running in my local paper. I was thinking of adding some sort of incentive in my ad along the line of "If you sign a year contract you get ?". Does anyone think this could be a good thing to try and what should I offer someone if they sign a year contract? I'm not sure if it should be a free mowing, a % discount, or whatever else looks attractive to the potential client. I'm open to any recommendations as to what I could put in my add to generate new customers. Thanks,

2. Promotions are good. But I wouldn't try to "sell" with the add.
    The add is just to get the customer to call you. The selling occurs after you get them on the phone.
    Focus your add to get them to call you. Close the sale after they call you.

You could have the deal of the century, but without a catchy ad, the people will ignore it. A catchy add will generate 10 times the calls that a good deal would create. Potential customers don't effectively comparison shop ads. They don't have an adequate points of reference. They don't really know the going rate, what services you offer, or even the size of their own lawn. It's not necessary to give away the store to get these people to call you. But it is necessary to have a good ad.

People respond to ads that follow the AIDA principles.

Attention. Capture the person's attention. "FREE!" works well.
    Interest. Let them know you have something they want.
    Desire. "Wouldn't you like to have this service for yourself so you can go water-ski this weekend?"
    Action. Call Now! "This offer won't last long!" etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to use the word FREE be sure to use font size 36! like;

That's everything I know about advertising. I just know at this stage, it's not about offering the best deal. It's all about getting them to call YOU, not the other guy.
    Offer a great deal to close the sale if you need too. Don't shoot yourself in the foot offering too much too soon.

3. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

I would not use the word FREE- does a laywer give FREE advise- or your mechanic, how about a plumber - Stress VALUE AND QUALITY
  4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

use the word FREE-it will bring calls. Besides most of us offer FREE estimates anyways you might as well tell potential clients. A line in my ad says: Quality work-Low prices and has FREE ESTIMATES in it as well.
    Good luck!
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

There's a painter fellow around here who has these huge ads with the word FREE really big, and underneath the word Estimate, with his phone #. It always catches my attention, and I believe most people are attracted to anything that says free. Free Estimates are always a part of any ad I do.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have offered free estimates for over 12 years. However, That will get you a 16 point lawn analysis and the cost of our services to correct imperfections in the lawn. If they want to know how to fix the lawn themselves that would fall under a lawn consultation and the price for that is $165 per hour. We do offer consulting services to many landscapers and golf courses.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

We have seen the 5th or 10th cut free with a signed yearly contract. For example. Click image for link.

8. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

We offer FREE estimates but we let the customers know that there is a charge for landscape design.

Do what you can within the law and being fair to get the phone ringing then when you do the estimate that's when it gets fun (selling) :waving:
  9. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Since we're on the subject of incentives, what do you all think about offering incentives to your current clients to generate more business for yourself.

I was thinking as one of my incentives offering a $100 gift certificate to a landscape nursery for the account that got me the most new business.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

FREE estimates
    5th cut free
    1/2 price cut for refering a customer

also..i line the image on that link with the space to fill in an on site estimate as you are dropping it off. well done.