1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advertising machine for hire

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mhilton, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

I own a decorative concrete business and i want to keep my new piece of equipment working. What are some advertising methods that has helped anyone out there? I just purchased a Takeuchi tl140payup
  2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Just contact some smaller Contracting companies that have been going the rental route and offer your machine and an operator for a decent price.You both make money.:drinkup:
  3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Get a jackhammer, then you are on both sides of the fence in the concrete business.
  4. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

thanks those were both good. Does anyone have any reports on hammer heads please no cheap ones
  5. bobcat_ron

Stanley, both the jack and the dropping hammer, the Cyclone, those are heavy hitters.

The only downside with a jackhammer is they tend to beat the crap out of any machine, check with your dealer to see if you have a closed or open loop hydraulic system, Bobcats have nothing but problems if you run a real hard hitter, I know from LOTS of downtime.
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

How do you deal with rebar and metal wire when you are breaking up concrete? Is it a hand labor thing to cut the rebar?
  7. bobcat_ron

I work along the rebar with the point, shattering the concrete off of it, then pick it out as I go with the combo bucket, if it's really nasty stuff, then I bring in the mini hoe to pick it out, but usually if you know how to snap rebar off in concrete you can do it as you hammer though the concrete.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Rebar and that rotten wire mesh is a pain in the azz :angry:

You can always advertise get rid of that rotten ugly paved driveway and replace it with a stamped concrete :laugh:

Ronald is right about a hammer ratting your machine apart but there is hammers out there that can isolate some of the ratting :laugh:

You need a enclosed cab thou or you will be eating some dust and going what did you say :cry:
  9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

mhilton: I just made up a brochure and had 1,000 high gloss copies made for $250. About 6 pictures of some of my jobs, my business name and services in the middle, and pics at the bottom. I will mail out 300 at end of Feb, 300 at end of March and 300 at end of May to "targets". "Targets" for me are remodel contractors, landscapers who don't have the knowledge or equipment to do what I do, suppliers of rock products, concrete contractors,pool and deck installers, and commercial developers. If I get just one or two jobs, it will have paid for itself. Last 3 years I did not advertise at all....this year, before the season starts, I am hammering at the advertising assuming it will be a tight market I want more exposure to any jobs that are out there....
  10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

This is a really good idea.

The average cost of S185 Bobcat rental is about 250 dollars plus they have too provide an operator.
    So most guys are at a min of 400.
    Your larger equipment will be much more productive .
    I rent me and my equipment out for 8 hours of machine time a day.
    I would charge more for concrete demo however because it is rough on your machine and tracks.