1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

advertising method?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JBlawn, Mar 26, 2010.

1. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Ok so TG was going around putting lawn posting signs in every yard stating what that price was to service that yard. Has anyone done this? doesnt seem to bad of an idea, but still kinda putting trash in someones yard. they put one in my fiances parents yard for 29.95 an app and they have 14,000sf?
  2. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking of hiring TGCL to do my lawn. They can do it cheaper than I can.

No wonder they lose money.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

From what I've seen, the fine print usually reads something like: $29.95 only applies to lawns 5k & under:rolleyes:
  4. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

didnt say anything like that but figure its on the first app. but what do you think about that idea as advertising?
  5. rnd

rnd LawnSite Member

Visit rndsigns.com to see hundreds of different layouts on custom posting signs for legislative requirements, curb advertising, point of sale. We have a variety of layouts that show a wide range of our capabilities. NEW within the last couple of months is our UV coating for all full color signs that make the colors jump out and add durability
  6. azjojo99

azjojo99 LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

They do it here also. Personally, I wouldn't like it if somebody stuck a sign in my lawn. Also, I think the costs would add up rather fast. I could also see people calling up saying "come pick up your trash out of my lawn" and telling their neighbors to do the same.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I do not like the sign idea personally.

I have seen them stick signs in around us and they have coupons on them, but no price.

I think you would get the same results as a post card...and probably about the same cost by the time you bought the signs and drove around and stuck them in a lawn.

I had great success with post cards in 07 and 08...but I will probably never do them again. I like to grow by referrals (much better customer).

When you market like that it isn't the best customer to have!

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Well BMW doesn't have the Blue Light Special like K Mart as part of their marketing plan. If you going to sell on price then you best keep your overhead very low. It is one thing to post signs in peoples yards if you are out of, or slow on work. It is an other to pay someone to go around and post signs. It seems to me TG/CL had excellent Equipment and some upper management. Their problems comes from the low wages and large turnover of employees.

But I barrow their Marketing Ideas or the ones I like, in a NYC second. I make no bones I work out of a Old TG/CL truck and love it. I wouldn't use the Price on a stick idea, But I have used the """LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN YOUR YARD""" Weed in a bag Trick I learned from TG/CL.
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This may be a whole different topic..but I would highly recommend getting a website and getting it out there.

If you do end up leaving a sign in a yard go with Ric's idea and make sure there is a website on there.

Most customer I end up meeting with has been on my site before I show up.

I think it is BIG for me right now!

Put your money where it will best work for you and get your name out there on invoices, business cards, pens, literature etc.

I order 1000 pens at a time and put my name, website and phone number on them then go to the local banks, Post Office etc and give them hand fulls at a time. These are a very nice and good quality pens (not the best just very nice). I also leave pens with my customers on Round 1 and Round 3. They love them!

I want the banks and Post Office customers to TAKE the pen out and hopefully build my brand with them and hopefully they will forget them somewhere too!

If you buy cheap pens...you are wasting your time. My pens represents my work!

Anyway...I was at gas station about a year ago and when I went to sign my credit card invoice...there sat my pen at the counter.

I didn't put it there...but it could have been from a customer or from the bank etc.

That is how it works...get your name out anyway you can.
  10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Although bmw doesnt have the "blue light special" car manufacturers have in the past borken into the market with cheap "affordable" cars, once they build a repuation they begin to sell higher end cars. Take hyundi for example. Not long ago they were the new company selling very cheap cars, now I see lots of "elantras" and I believe one or two more that they sell with a much higher price tag then where they started not to long ago. Like creech said, he use to do post cards, now he is established and preffers refferals. If you have the bank roll to afford to market at a lower price to get established and creep your prices up after you have proven to your customers you are worth just as much as anyone else in your area....it may be a good business plan.