1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

advertising mid season...yeah or nay?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by green thum, Jun 18, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

This is my first full season in the biz and i am happy with my current # of accounts but would like more(who wouldn't right?)my question is this,is it worthwhile to advertise(fliers,and or newspaper ad?)halfway through the season?thanks for the help!!
  2. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

repetition, repetition, repetition! Keep your name out there. People who are not satisfied w/their current service will call and people who realize they are too busy now for their yard will call too. I advertise all year w/out an expensive yellow page ad.
  3. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

It's my first year as well. I've got door fliers (just 1000) being made now. If you want, I'll let you know how it works this after I dist. them.
  4. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

My first year also.
    This is the first month my advertizing has really payed off, I am in the news paper, and a little county news mag., but the grass has just staeted really growing down here.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i put an add back in, about 2 weeks ago. i got a few phone calls, but from very undesireable prospects. i have, however, been picking up work steadily by word of mouth, and passers by
  6. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

Bobby, yeah mord of mouth is FINALLY starting for me,i've heard (on here)that is the best form of advertisment.
  7. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I made a flyer on my home computer,, then took it to Kinko's for them to run off copies for me,, on Monday's they do copies for Half price! .04 ea.
    Simple & cheap! I also run ad in local paper for $28. a week for a 3x4 in ad.
  8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I looked in the yellow pages but nobody is selling word of mouth? Plenty selling advertising....I would like to allocate 33% of my advertising dollars to word of mouth......how long is a piece of string too?
  9. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Just bought a new 757 and need to get the thing working! I'll be doing some mid season advertising here too. I'm thinking I'll make up a flier for my existing neighborhoods and advertise some sort of a neighborhood special. I figure I can make up a few hundred of those pretty cheep. I think I'm also going to get an add in the paper here shortly. For the past couple of months it seems every day there are at least 10 to 15 lcos in the paper, but I've noticed just recently those numbers have dropped off. Finally I'm really going to try and hit up some larger properties in new neighborhoods with my standard door hangers to try and drum up some higher dollar accts and start really using the 757. payup :D
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been passing out some nice little door hangers I had made, have 1000 of them i'm currently putting out each day in the hood's i'm mowing in. Then I'm going to send out 10,000 flyers in july I think. The one in july will focus on switching if they're unhappy with their current company, I want to try to get mostly weekly mowing out of it but also going to focus on powerwashing (just getting into that) and also leaves. I know it sounds funny but can never get the word out too early. I'm going to put a good coupon (of which i haven't come up with yet :D ) for fall cleanups so hopefully people will save it, fall cleanups are big money in my area so the more the better.