Advertising on our Trucks and Trailers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jul 29, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've been saying for a while that I'd post a picture like this. So here it is. It's just a picture of one of our work trucks and trailers. We have 4 that look exactly like this. All the same year, model, color, lettering, etc. You definitely can't miss us.

I like our trucks to do a lot of the advertising for us. Works well too. A good 20% of calls come from people who had been seeing our truck around the area and finally decided to call. Brand imaging works.

Also, like I have said before, I don't use all new trucks for our fleet. And I don't think you have to. Only my own personal truck is new. The rest are older. But they are painted nice, well maintained, and kept neat and clean. This one is the only one with white wheels too. The others have nice chrome wheels.

p7050153a.jpg

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

You run quite a professional business! Great website too. Are the ads on the truck expensive to have put on?

3. JimLewis

Thanks.

No, the truck lettering isn't expensive at all. Especially compared to the return on the investment. It's definitely the best ROI of any kind of advertising. You pay for it once and get customers from it for several years.

We pay about $130 per truck, for all of the lettering on the doors, sides, and tailgate. Then another $50-$100 for the area on the back of the trailer.

The stuff is tough as heck. It won't come off in car washes or anything. But if you do ever want to take it off, it isn't that difficult. I can strip all the lettering off a truck in an hour or so. And it leaves the paint perfect underneath.

4. blair

blair LawnSite Member

Jim-

How did you attach the sign to the back of your trailer, and what is it made out of? Also, does it ever get damaged when you are unloading and loading? Thanks.

Blair

5. JimLewis

We don't use those kinds of signs any longer. That sign was made of Corrogated plastic. Kind of like cardboard, but with plastic. It was nice and pretty sturdy but it didn't always stay on well. We had to re-attach it from time to time.

Now, I've had my welder install an actual sheet of thick metal in that same area on the back of each of our trailers. We painted it red and then we just do vinyl lettering on it, just like we do on the trucks. This is more permenant and looks more flush and clean.

6. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

How many hits are you getting on your website?

7. JimLewis

July = 589 Visitors so far. 20 / day on avg.

We get about 2 contacts per week [during the busy season] from people who found our web page from a search engine and want a bid.

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

hey jim is your web master a local guy , hes done a great job with your web site would like more info on him or his company

9. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you go to get your vinyl lettering done or do you do it yourself (if so, how?).

10. JimLewis

He is my cousin. You can contact him from our web site. There is a link at the bottom of the main page. He's great.
    At a local sign shop. Just look in the yellow pages under signs and look for ads that say "Vinyl Lettering". You could do it yourself. It's actually fairly easy if you are good with computers, graphics, and type setting. The only challenge is you need a $5,000 (min.) Cutter. The rest of the materials are cheap. And placing the lettering on the vehicle is relatively simple once you watch someone a few times. Still, because of the overhead and cost of the equipment, it's better to hire a sign shop to do it for you.