1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising Question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by trimmasters, Oct 6, 2003.

1. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

YEAH, FOR 750 I WOULD SAY IT WOULD BE WORTH GOING YO COURT!!!!

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Question is...
    If you ran an ad, and there was an accidental misprint, would you want someone taking you to court over it?

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

ditto! Jodi I don't think the courts are that stupid! How strange that it is different when the shoe is on the other foot? :dizzy: :dizzy:

4. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

If it was just a person selling it, then no, I woulden't force the issue but since it was a dealer, why not -- if we screwd up an add we would honor it.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you even give used car salesmen a bad name.

I wouldn't believe a thing you say. Are you trying to make yourself out as some type of honorable thief by not stealing from a person but okay to steal from a business. Is it okay to steal from the US Government by not paying taxes?

If you messed up with the bill to the customer you would try to weasel your way out of it with the customer.

Do you just make up your ethics as you go along in life based on how it benefits you?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

So if you ran an add in the service directory of your local newspaper advertising aerations for an intended price of $75 and you forgot to write in the "5".....just out of haste........you would honor aeartions for $7???? Be honest!!!

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

To begin with, I would NEVER run an ad in the newspaper with rates in it. But the fact of the matter there is a law in my state, at least, that says you must sell at an advertised price. The reason? To keep dishonest people from baiting and switching, and to keep retail stores honest in their pricing. I have had mistakes made on things I have bought, and gotten not only the difference back but also the $5 extra required by law. And I've not felt bad about that at all. How many times are you over charged when you never noticed it? Do you think the stores feel bad about those ethics? No. Are they dishonorable thieves as well?

I got a printer last year at a local store that normally goes for $149. The store messed up and marked them $49. I knew there was a mistake, took the printer up and when it rang up at $149 I pointed out the price tag. After a brief discussion with the manager, where I reminded them of the law in Michigan, he sold it to me for $49. Did the store go out of business? Nope. Do I feel bad? Hell no.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

It's going to be interesting of what happens with the truck

9. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

It would be my guess that the court would question how anyone could honestly believe such a ridiculous price was legitimate, making the possibillity of intentional false advertising unlikely. Then there is the possibillity that it was the printer's fault. If the evidenece indicated that the price was most likely unintentional wouldn't that be enough to deny you the price?