Advertising Question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ToddS, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

I have been approached by a salesman for Kroger (a local grocery store) about an opportunity to place an ad on their pharmacy bags. It would be placed on 30,000 bags and would start approx Feb. He says that it takes about 6 months for all the bags to be distributed and they are distributed in 1 store going to local customers. The ad is the size of a normal business card and the price of this ad is $104.00. My big question is how many people will actually look/see this ad. I cannot remember if I have ever seen any ads placed on these pharmacy bags so i am not sure if this is a good opportunity to advertise or not. Anyone done this before and if so any success? If not, any advice as to if I should try this?

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

todd, do you know how many ads will be on each bag? did he have a specific sample to show you?

just based on the numbers, $104 for 30,000 ads is probably better than a comparable ad in a newspaper with a 30k circulation and may prove stickier to the reader as they will actually have to touch the ad. for that price, you don't have much to lose, but be sure to track the leads either through a special offer in the ad or asking every caller how they heard of you.
  3. jawinchester

jawinchester LawnSite Member

What a great opportunity. That is a very inexpensive advertising! 5,000 local people per month. Average person probably will be in the hands of the same people each month which is good repetative advertising. I'm going to check our area pharmacies and see if it is available to us! Thanks!
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Are you sure that the ad would be on the bags and not the cash register receipts? They do that here also but the business card size ads are on the backs of the store receipts. Also for them to have the bags printed it would seem that it would cost them way more than $104 just in setup and printing on that many bags, so heck even if it had 30-40 other ads on it, if it is on the bags then heck I would do it just because it is so cheap!
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I also noticed on Krogers plastic grocery bags they're starting to advertize by adding a extra strip of plastic on the handles with coupons and other ads printed on them. I was thinking of checking into that one as well. Thanks for the reminder.
  6. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Don't forget, you also have people like me who bring their lunches to work in that same bag with your advertisement on it.
  7. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well, just my opinion but I dont think I have EVER read a bag. I just take my groceries out and the bag goes into the bag holder. Good price but you have to ask just how effective it would be.
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

At that price, all you would need is ONE job from those 30,000 bags to pay for the ad.
    As already said, for that money, you really have nothing to lose.

If you do it, make sure to keep track of the response rate (ask all callers how they heard of you). This will help you with your advertising decisions in the future. Good luck.
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, but do you have advertising on your bags?? If there is no print on your bags then that is a good reason why you are not reading them.

I think it's a small fee for a lot of advertising. Nobody will argue that the elderly is one of the largest lawncare markets and who buys more medicine than the elderly? You might ask them if there is any industry competition going on the bag. Like someone else said, many save those bags, so it could literally generate business years down the road.
  10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I personally think its a waste of your money. Kroger is being very creative in finding a way to pay for those bags and probably make a profit.
    I can't ever even recall anything I have ever seen on those bags. I don't think people seeking a LCO will dig through the "bad drawer" or even remember to tell anyone to "look on your Kroger bag" for the phone #.
    I rank this with the promotional calenders with advertising spots on it. How many of those calenders do you think people look at the advertisement and not the days...not many.

I would put that money in a sign for my truck, trailer or maybe even some lawn signs.........sorry Todd..I think its a waste of your money. :(