1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advertising Religion in Business- Why?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Green in Idaho, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I understand the forum policy against posts of religion- this is not one of those. It's about advertising....

On second thought I'll defer.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Sure, put religion in advertising: if you're selling Bibles.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i don't understand it either, but then again I'm very anti-religious. Most people say they want to "show they're good people" well does that make me a bad or untrustworthy worker since I'm not?
  4. EmeraldLawncare

EmeraldLawncare LawnSite Member

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your religion.
  5. ElephantNest

from La.

That wasn't the question.
  6. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I would imagine anyone would want to keep their business as neutral as possible. You don't want to lose business just because a potential client doesn't like your religion.

My view on this is not just for religion, but is for everything.

For instance, I'm a hunter and a Life Member of the NRA, but I would never put a sticker or decal on any of my trucks with that even though I am proud to be a member. The reason is that this is a personal thing and should be completely separate from business. I don't care of one of my clients is an anti-hunter animal activist or not. I'm not going to hang out with them, but I do want their business. The successful buiness person will be able to separate things from their personal life and become a neutral entity; when it comes to running their business that is.

I'm also catholic, but that should have no bearing on whether I can do the job, and my customers have no need to know that level of detail about me.
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Dan - from another fellow hunter and NRA lifer!

8. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Hey Mike, Nice to hear from a fellow member...
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Not displaying a religious symbol does not mean that you can't be a good person.
    Our maker will determine the good and otherwise when He is ready.
    But why does anyone that chooses to display their religious feelings have to be put down by so many of you?

I know ElephantNest is just waiting to pounce, or what ever nested elephants do.

No, I don't see many advertising their NRA affiliations, but I see plenty of Duck Stamp, I'd rather be Fishing, Bass Masters, So and So's Tackle Shop,etc. window decals and bumper stickers, on work vehicles every day in every neighborhood.
    Isn't that advertising for those places, and isn't that a way of saying "We approve if you belong to one of these (our) clubs?"

If someone has the guts to display a religious symbol on an ad, don't hold that against them, grade them by personality and quality of work. I doubt they will ask customers to kneel and pray with them on the freshly cut grass when they are finished mowing.

Good Wishes to all
  10. ElephantNest

from La.

Get a life, loser. You're the type of person that gives organized religion a bad name. We simply don't have the same views, so now it's time to attack me, and put me down. Real mature. Mr. Hoilier Than Thou, who is above all others that share different opinions on religion. Well, guess what? If you think acting like you do makes you a good Christian, you've got another thing coming. Get a life and quit trying to pretend you're some upstanding Christian. When in all actuality, you're just another hypocrit. I'm through with you, life's too short to keep answering some pig headed, blinder wearing people basher.