advertising, response, that kind of question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jarroo's lawncare, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i was just wondering how long it takes for the phone to start ringing after a direct mailing and what is the usual response rate for the mailing of about 5300?

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The can start ringing the day they get them, so a day after you sent them, The bulk of the calls with come in over the next two weeks after you send them. I find that some people will save them, I'll get 5-6 calls in June from Advertisements I sent out In March.

3. jarroo's lawncare

got my first call today, we are having a cold spell in east tennessee right now and i think that lawncare just isn't on peoples minds at the moment. It will probably be in the mid to upper 70s next week and then i think the calls will start coming in.

4. jarroo's lawncare

i meant to say first call from my fliers, not the first call of the season sorry.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It would be great if you could time them so that most are received on a warm saturday afternoon, but that might be hard. I did 5000 a few years ago and had around 1/2%-1% response rate...not real well. I think I received most of my calls in the first few days....after a week it dropped to nearly no calls.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I did a direct mailing over the last 2 weeks. I mailed out a nicely type letter and a business card. I am at a 3.7% response rate. I already closed on one job so far from the mailing and have two more job where i'm in the 2nd meeting/deciding on materials phase to come up with accerate pricing. Those two jobs combined = $40,000 worth of work. Hopefully i get them. What impresses me most is the 3.7% response rate. I do not think anyone has gotten that high a rate with post cards. It ran me .55 total to mail out each letter with a business card. Thats 24 cents more then what it would of ran to mail out a half page post card, but my response rate is almost 4x what a post card would of gotten.

Not to shabby for mailing out 165 letters for a total cost of around $90 dollars.

I was planning on doing 2 10k post card mailings. Not to sure yet if i will need to spend 6k on that yet.

Matt

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It also has a lot to do with what you are marketing and the area you are marketing. I am guessing you are targeting landscape clients to newly purchased homes. I don't know about your area, but there are far more mowers than landscapers in my area, so competition is much tougher. The biggest mistake with my postcards was that I marketed to a large number of services, rather than just mowing. I also didn't offer an incentive to use my services over another. It was just a pretty card.

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Walker talker- I did not even list mowing as my services in my letter, even though i offer it. Honestly- I think its best to do as much advertising as you can afford. I have a ad in the service directory of my newspaper. Some may think it is a dumb place to advertise. I just signed a job where i will make 4 grand in about in about 35 man hours. That aint bad. My ad ran me 275 for 5 weeks.

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have had great luck with news paper ad, and direct mailings I have done this spring, my phone has been ringing off the hook. Alot of good contracts lined up already. A bunch of one time jobs and a few regular weekly maintenance already signed up. Once you get the call its crucial to sell yourself. I have raised all my rates this year and have been told by a few people that even though we were higher they decided to go with us. Good Luck!!!