Advertising results 2007

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Precision, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

As some of you may know, I tried alternative advertising methods last year and did rather poorly, along with some other issues, like stupid employee tricks costing accts.

But this year I am doing door hangers and lots of them.

to date.

Began distribution, first week of March
    cold (for florida weather and no rain have the grass fairly dormant)

by 09 March. +/- 4100 flyers distributed -- theoretical yield 41 calls over 4 weeks

9 phone calls received total
    ------------------------
    8 from potential clients
    1 from a complete nut job ranting and raving
    ---------------------

2 confirmed clients
    2 possible clients for starting in 2 weeks
    3 tire kickers
    1 insulted by the need to provide a credit card, serious dirtbag signs.

I will try to remember to keep updating this thread each week with new numbers and what I did.

2. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I just had 1/4 page ad come out in the free weekly newspaper. It is to run for 2 months. I also have a 5-liner ad coming out in the daily newspaper this Thursday for 30 days. My yellow pages colored business card-size ad won't be out till July (sucks), so that doesn't help me any. I will let you know the results of the 2 paper ads on a weekly basis. Hopefully, you will be able to use some of the data when it comes to your advertsing program. My area of reach for the ads btw is approx. 100,000 to 150,000.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

For me I sent out 7000 flyers for the first wave today, should see calls for the rest of the week. Another 10,000 going out in 3 weeks and another 10,000 2-3 weeks after that so I will keep you guys updated. Also keep us update on your progress!

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Leisure Time Lawn Care

Leisure Time Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I Have 350 Post Cards going out this week and 6000 door hangers and flyers that I am going to start to distribute this weekend. I will let you know....

Scott

5. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

We passed out 665 door hangers today and will pass out the other 335 tomorrow evening when we get done mowing.

I already received one call for an estimate on cleaning out some flower beds.

I am really looking to pick up about 20 regular residential mowing accounts off of the 1000 door hangers but I'm not going to complain what kinda work I get off them.

I just thank God that he provided me with a business and I don't have to work for someone else making $X amount per hour.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

What areas are you guys in that your mowing already? lol florida and texas? :p

Im going to be passing out flyers end of this week and maybe next week, since its supposed to be 72 this wednesday... Yet it snowed 2" only 5 days ago so that doesnt help when people see lawn care flyers...

7. advanced-prolawn

advanced-prolawn LawnSite Member

I started last week putting business cards in peoples doors. I am going to try to get out at least 750 a week. Only 2 calls so far. Have any of you had good response from business cards?

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

never tried that. For me, I think door hangers are much more effective, look better, project a better image, and don't really cost that much more. But hey, whatever works is a good method.

9. Leisure Time Lawn Care

Leisure Time Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Any one advertising in Michigan yet?????

10. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Don't hang your hat on a 1% response rate. I have never been anywhere close to that - of course all I care about is actual sign-ups - those have come at a rate of about 1 per 1,000 (which is NOT 1%, it is 0.1%) - Sounds like you are track with my experience (about 4 customers per 4,000). Keep pounding away.