Advertising Techniques

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vball2116, Jun 30, 2006.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone im 17 and just getting starting into the Lawn Care Industry. I currently cut 5 lawns and am looking to generate a few more. It is a learning experience everyday looking at these posts to see what new tips or tricks I can learn and use when I cut. I did some searching about advertising and have a few ideas in mind, but I would like to get some insight on if its a good idea or if other people may have a better idea. I only have business cards made up at the moment, but I was looking at going to the local grocery stores and putting up business cards on their bulletin boards and go to a few local stores and ask to put the cards in there also. Is there anything else you think I should do to generate customers? If you need to see what my business cards look like or anything else like that I will be glad to post it if need be. But thanks for the help in advance and I appreciate any advice that you may have.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

That is a good start. I would go the flyer route too.

3. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Flyers, flyers, flyers. There is a company that I use that prints them and distibutes them for $650 per 10,000. Well worth the cost and much more bang for the $ than the local paper. However, if the funds are tight and you don't have $650 or so to spend on flyers, I would advertise in the business section of your local paper. Good luck to you!

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Heres some of the things im doing:

- 5" by 7" post card size flyers deliver manually and in news papers/mail ( we can put flyers in peoples boxes here in Canada)

- Business cards to every single person I come in contact with
    - 12" by 24" color signs on poles on areas that are hammered with flyers
    - Lettering on my truck
    - A framed sign when working at a job.
    - A good web site

Good luck!

Jeff

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Hows the $35 dollar flyers working Xoopiter? I was all gung ho a few weeks ago about getting some door handles together but now I'm doubting if they would be effective. You sure have a good set up as far as equipment myself if I got a bunch of $35 dollar yards I would need to spend my snow plow money to buy a big mower lol.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Thanks. My first 5500 flyers went out today. Will give it a week to see how she goes. Also have to hang up my signs. I should take some pics. Ive decided not to plow. My plowing insurance would be $1200-1600 per month + a new plow $6000 + id have to sell my truck and get a new one relettered. Not worth it imo!

Cheers
    Jeff

7. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

Just a good job and hope for word of mouth to take over. I have one customer who knows everyone in his n'hood. I've gotten 2 contracts and some landscaping work out of him in June alone. Good luck man.:clapping:

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure what part of the country you're living in but I've been in the snow removal business for 6 years. I have never done commercial but residential is a cinch. You don't really even need a plow. But I'm going to get a pull back plow and the front one and you don't need a $6000 dollar one either. I seen this guy last year he did two driveways with a pull back and front (he pulls the snow into the street then uses the front to push it up) in less time then I did one breaking my back while I'm at it.

I remember the first year I did it, also my first year in business, I was so thankful for the income. I never got any special insurance either. I might spend $6000 on both plows... But I don't know what is required for commercial. but yeah you would need a 4x4 (you dont need decals in the winter though I will have some) I look at it like I will want a back up truck for next spring anyway. I wanna get 60 drive ways at $80 bucks a month nice little winter income. keep in mind I live in winnipeg and we actually have a real winter.

9. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey guys sorry for the delay on the replys ...I was cutting grass all day to catch up from all the rain and then I went to a Journey/Def Leppard concert. But I really like the idea of a flyer because I could go and put them in peoples doors and I know I can't put them in mail boxes because of it being illegal. I will start to make a flyer this weekend and I will keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Jeff