Advertising to the Extreme?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by splatz100, Jul 27, 2005.

1. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if this should be here, or the elements of business.

The question is: I'm already thinking about next year(about what I did wrong this year), and I started to think about taking advertising to another extreme. Examples including commercials and billboards. I was also thinking about doing mass inserts in my city paper. I guess I'm just trying to think out the box, but I wanted to know if I'm wasting my money. Also if anyone else has done something different, other then mass mailing,doorhangers,etc...

2. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

As a homeowner I may be of help, though as a bit of a geek I may or may not be representative of the average guy. But I get LOTS of solicitation for lawn care stuff. But you know what has made some stand out over others? Two things:
    -Don't just use fluffy words; show me you know your stuff and are confident in your products and techniques. They may be trade secrets but at least give me some insight as to what you do that's different/better than the next guy and why it works better.

-If you really are that great, let me know you always gaurentee your service and exactly to what extent you are willing to go to make sure things are done right. I understand this may get you a lot of overly annoying customers that wear your 'guarentee' to death to the point that you'll never make any money off of them, but you can always shrug those off and keep the ones that you gained simply by impressing them with how confident you are in your product.

With that said and done, I'd say spend the extra money on a nice looking bright and colorful high quality brochure and maybe even a card people can mail back for more info or an estimate (not everyone likes calling a relatively unknown number - I'm fine with it, but some people are just shy).

Do that instead of radio and TV commercials... you have to advertise a LOT to build up enough advertising momentum that way; repetition is the key there, and repetition costs a lot of $$.
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Advertising is used to make the potenial purchaser think of you when he wants to pruchase those products and services. SO yes all the forms of media you are talking about work, how much success? you may never know, but the point is to make the customer think of you first when advertising.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds expensive and not a guarantee either. I still think word of mouth is the best. I would spend the money or time giving referrals to my current customers I think.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

We Have Attourney That Puts Fridge Magnets In The Phone Book.i Thought About Doing That Myself.people Always Use Magnets On The Fridge.then They See It Every Time The Go To The Kitchen.
  6. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

befnme, i think you're on to something there. i know they're not the same as lawn care companies, but pizza companies (pizza hut, papa john's, etc.) all give out the fridge magnets and they have definitely gotten my business because it's easy to just look at the number on the fridge and call, rather than lookin in the phonebook. i think that is a great idea.

7. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

How would you distribute them??
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

A company here had a billboard. Had it for a year. Now they're bankrupt.

As for commercials, I think your area of advertising would spread out too far, unless you're in an area with a local radio station.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i had flyers inserted into local papers, go very good response
  10. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

My neighbors own a pizza chain with delivery and they asked me if I wanted to attach a flyer to every pizza box that went out! Sounds pretty good to me!