1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advertising via Postcards....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Podraza, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Podraza

Podraza LawnSite Member

Anyone have information on how to advertise using "postcards". How to obtain addresses for certain zip codes?

Costs of advertising through the mail? Effectiveness?

Thank You
  2. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

Look up infousa.com. They offer many services for doing mailings. I have considered to do mailouts but the cost for one card to go out can get very expensive real fast. I know in The Colony are there are some very classy homes were you might not be able to get flyers in, so a mailing would work. I figured that the Dallas area would be in full swing by now. Here in Houston I am about to go weekly with many of my customers.

3. IdylGard

IdylGard LawnSite Member

I found you can go to the Post Office and have them do mailings. I know another company that does that. When I asked though, they weren't too helpful.

I then found a source where I could get 400 address labels for 5$ from a title company.

I hope that helps.
  4. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

What's the place where you can get the labels? Thanks
  5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the upper income neighborhoods around here have clubs (i.e. golf, tennis, beach, ect...)
    These clubs keep membership directories.

Maybe someone else has some creative ideas for obtaining these diectories.

My equip dealer gave me a big one. Approx 750 names, addresses, etc.
    You cant get that if you buy your equip on-line!
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have not done this but my little sister worked for a company that sends those little fliers out every week. Every tuesday or wednsday is the day for "junk mail". Next time you get your junk mail in look at the fine print on those things for "oil specials" at the local time it lube ..also they come in the form of firestone, carpet cleaners etc. The comapny here is called National Mail-It. I do not know if they are in your neck of the woods or not. Once you figure out the company go to them tell them what you want. May help if you know the zip of the specific area you want to target. They will then help you design and print them out and then they will send it out with the junk mail on the designated day. Hope this helps.
  7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I see that one of you had obtained actual names. I would suggest when you mail out your fliers to you this type of form:
    To current resident
    123 anywhere
    City ,State 1111

I would not use an actual name for this might turn a possible customer away. It will look like you went to the trouble of purchasing names just like a credit card company and to me and I am sure others this seems a bit "cheesy".
    Just my $0.02

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

You might be able to get names and addresses from the county tax office or better yet go to the neighborhoods you want to target and get the street names and the first address to the last adress on that particular st.
  9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Go to your local yellow pages, look up advertising - direct mail. I tried my local post office but no help, the guy said No we don't sell addresses !, but a mail-man here cuts on the side also! I know he does lawns in a particular neighborhood where I recently did a renovation estimate.
    But back to the situation at hand, I use double sided glossy 125 lb weight foled in half, but I saw "ready to mail post cards" with rolo-dex cards attached to them at staples.
    Hope this helps.
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member