Advertising-Welcome Wagon

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scottish lscape1, Jan 23, 2007.

1. What do you guys think? A direct mailer advertising firm we have used for the past 3 years (with very good success) has offered use an exclusive deal (we being the only lscape company in the packet). It's called a welcome wagon. It's a packet sent to new residents and commercial home/business owners that have just purchased their home or business (minimum 75 packets a month are sent out) with a 6 month commitment on our part. The price is in our budget. My question is. If you received this mailer would you look @ it, Maybe use it or just put it in the trash? And if you would use it, what type of discount ideas should I offer. Example: Pizza place is doing 1 free small pizza, Oil change company 1 free oil change.

2. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

My first year I was fulltime I used our local welcome wagon. Same as you stated the only lco and we had to offer something, I gave a coupon for 10% off a year contract, and a pen with our advertisement.

The good.
    Recieved 10 clients the first year along with mulch jobs (about 180yds worth)

The bad.
    The second year only 2 clients and the mulch only came to 15 yds.
    I had to pay $2 for every packet they sent out. On my monthly bill was all the names and address of the people that recieved a packet. I sent each new resident a personal welcome letter.

The welcome wagon also sent a packet to expecting mothers, people who moved into apt bldgs, senior citizen homes etc... My avg monthly bill was $130 for 65 packets by the time I subtract all the non homeowners I would have approx 10-15 homes to sent a welcome letter too.

After the second year It wasn't worth the cost or headache to keep it going.

3. Thanks Ed. I'll look into it to see if they are going to include apt bldgs, senior homes. My goal this season is to put a 3rd full time mowing truck on the road so I think mite help the cause. My coupon was going to be 1.$25 off any lscape service over $150 and maybe a gift (I like the pen idea).

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i did it also and i thought it stunk i would get a call here and there but nothing to go wild over and the cost wasent cheep from what i can remember
    i have found in my area most houses r being bought by kids and they cant afford to have anyservices for the first few years?
    would i use the service at my house pry not