ADVERTISING- what works best???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dadio, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Dadio

Dadio LawnSite Member

Flyers have got to be the best- at least so far they are for me. ATT yellowpages is expensive and really doesn't work. So far, YELP is very expensive and does not work. Ive tried Valuepak advertising brochures which are expensive and I will never use again. Does anyone have suggestions? Maybe things like YELP will deliver in the long run...I dont know- HELP!
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

The best things tht have worked for me are word of mouth and direct mail postcards
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. WPS85

WPS85 LawnSite Member

If you can put an ad in a local paper that will help too.

Other ways that help.

"Word of mouth" is the best!

Print some flyers with your business name at the top, and at the bottom fix it so a person can "tear off tabs" with your business name and phone number.

Ask around at different places that would let you put them up. .Its best if you know someone who works at the places too.
    (etc, hardware stores, small grocery stores, restaurant's, fuel stations, auto repair shops, etc.) . Try to put them where they would stay dry, and be prepared for people that are in the same business to tear them down.

Print your own business cards. . Put them at hardware stores and some of the other places I mentioned. .Keep some in your truck so you can hand some out if you see someone that you know.

Have some graphics made with your business name & phone number, and put them on the rear windows of your truck. . Also put a sign or something on your trailer. . Have a sign made to put in your front yard where it can be seen from the road!

Hope that helps and good luck!
  4. memphis.landscape

memphis.landscape LawnSite Member

Joining a BNI group has by far been my best investment. It cost $400 to join and in roughly 6 months I have gotten over $5000 worth of business from it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. steel05

steel05 LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ohio

word of mouth for sure!!
  6. WPS85

WPS85 LawnSite Member

Yes, That has to be the best!

I did an excavation job for a person and their friend seen the work I did. . They referred me to them. I did that job and they referred me to one of their friends.

For each person I did work for, I gave them a business card so they could tell other people that they know if anyone needed work.:)
  7. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Still waiting on everyone claiming that word of mouth is the best way to advertise to show me their growth based purely off of word of mouth.

Stop telling the new guys that they're going to grow a business by talking to people or current customers telling other people and those people telling other people like a big pyramid scheme. It doesn't work this way. Yes, you may get word of mouth referrals but they are not common.

Technically, yes, you can do it but you'll be working a full time job for a long time before you can do into the lawn industry full time.

Hang door hangers in the Spring.
    Use Craigslist throughout the whole year.
    If you're in a big city, get a website and advertise online.
    If you're in a smaller town that doesn't use the internet that much, use the newspaper.
    Don't bother with the phone book.
    Truck lettering will not get you a lot of customers, some, but not a lot.
    While you're mowing, wave, smile, and acknowledge passers-by

Here's my best free advertising. I am #1 on google for Houston Lawn Mowing. I am #4 on google for Houston Lawn Care. I'm ranking up in Houston Lawn Service (which is the most competitive and important search term for lawn service online).

I pay $0. I get 5-10 new customers a week.

Way better than word of mouth.
  8. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

9. steel05

steel05 LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ohio

if your good word of mouth is all you need. I started last season with ten clients, finished with 24. This year I'm at 41. All word of mouth except for 2 which came from 35 direct mailings I did in the spring that I got for free from vista print. I don't like to spend money on advertising. I'm in three golf course communities, everyone talks.

Snow plowing has helped. Plow contracts turn into maintenance, fertilizer, clean-ups, ect. That's the only reason I plow. I don't want to open the door for another company.
  10. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said. You word of mouth works but you will not be in the lawn industry full time for a long time.

If you want to keep your full time job and supplement your income with mowing lawns, then by all means go ahead.

I'm personally in it for the business and the profit. I advertise, I grow, I make more money.

41 customers in over a year wouldn't cut it for me.