Advertising....when and how?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnBoy89, Jan 31, 2006.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

What's up guys? I already have probably around 15 accounts, maybe more, that are going to use me again this summer but I definetly want more since I just got a Lazer to make things quicker.

If I print out some fliers, is it legal to put them in the mailbox? If not, what should I do? Doorhangers?....where can you get them done? Also, what type of information should I include on the fliers and when should I pass them out?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my experience with advertising: The more, the better.
    Given that I find myself a miserable wizard at accurate prediction, I have seldom hit the advertising number on the money (translation: I either didn't advertise enough, or I put out too much). Once I figured that my choices were that (too much or not enough), I then realized I was better off, given those choices, to put out at LEAST enough and if too much came of it, less harm was done than when not enough went out.

If too much advertising goes out, some money is wasted but I am able to maintain a severely busy schedule throughout the year and well into January of next year, I have now 2 yards left to clean up leaves, that's still from last year. I basically quote what I want and don't care if they say no or they cry because the price is too much, for the main reason I have literally more work than I can finish thus they can take it or leave it <- diz rulez.

If I don't put out enough, I lose the edge in this business that gives me my said 'take it or leave it' attitude, and not only do I not have enough work as a result, but I then find myself lowering my prices just to make sure I have enough to survive on <- diz sux.

So, more than enough, always.

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

It is against federal law to put them on a mail box, try door hangers or just knock on doors and hand out business cards.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

DO NOT put them in a mailbox! Federal offense per incident! Direct mail is ok though. See the gov. doesn't like it when you avoid their icreased postage price. Do door hangers and some doorknocking. Walk ups are common, have cards ready.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Once the weather warms up and the grass starts growing, the flowers start to blooming and basically people flock to their yards, glad to be out of the house after the long dreary winter, and when people start coming out, it's party time.

Once this party begins, it hits immediately and it hits hard and it does not slow down until at least end of June for me.

Time-wise, I'm in Virginia and grass usually starts to get going around April 1st but once again I am a poor wizard of prediction, my spells have fizzled before... I have found my ad has to be ON the street or IN their house on the very day the party starts, because every day I miss, there's some other Lco snapping up work, so get in first thing and don't stop!
    Thus, I start my advertising two weeks before end of March, even though several times these initial two weeks have resulted in NO calls, I'd rather be safe than sorry because there is no telling for sure exactly what day the party starts, the only thing I know is my ad has to be IN their house on that day.

As for how to do it, I run a small newspaper ad and I make sure it runs and runs and runs until I have more than enough work (yes, even if I don't get it all done, the only other option being I don't have enough, I would rather have too much than not enough).

6. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

try taping the fliers to the door, this is a tip i got from Mike. tape it to the glass or a plastic part of the door but not the paint! Also make sure they stick. VERY bad image if fliers are all over the neighborhood.

Im a newbie but im getting help from some guys on here and i thought i might be able to help ya :waving:

Travis

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i think that will work well...
    :)

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

it is illegal to put them _in_ a mailbox, but not _on_ a mailbox. you can scotch tape fliers or cards to the mailbox if you want.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

look at the postal web site, not in, on. or afixed to, you cant personally touch the mailbox, or the flag, try a search here you will see

* Advertising on a mailbox or the supporting post of the mailbox is prohibited.
    * Only the United States Postal Service may use mailboxes for delivery without paying postage (Flyers, magazines, notes, letters, etc. found in or on mailboxes may be charged postage due) .
    o If you have received flyers on or in your mailbox, please contact your local Post Office facility.
    o Non-postal information, advertising, and any other matter not bearing postage may be placed in door slots (These are not considered mail boxes).

Note: A receptacle for newspaper delivery by private companies may be attached to the post of a curbside mailbox used by the U.S. Postal ServiceĀ® if the receptacle:

Does not touch the mailbox or use any part of the mailbox for support.
    Does not interfere with the delivery of mail, obstruct the view of the mailbox flag, or present a hazard to mailperson or vehicle.
    Does not extend beyond the front of the mailbox when the box door is closed.
    Does not display advertising, except the publication title.

10. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

:D :D Awesome, thank you Dave, we are going to be doing that at the end of february! I can't wait.

Travis