1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

advertising with websites

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by godsey03, May 7, 2004.

1. godsey03

godsey03 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Just curious if having your own website is beneficial for business. I realize you have to market using other means (flyers, yard signs, door hangers etc.) to get your website address out there but does it actually help sell your self and your business to customers? Let me know what you all think.
  2. Depends,
    Is your area computer literate?
    What kind of client are you going after? professional, retired
    How much do you intend to spend?

Now my site is up and going(I do need to re-do it) did I get my money back?

The answer is a resounding yes.
    Why, well, I live in just 40 miles from where the first mac was invented, I live just just 25 miles from where the first GUI(before bill gates) windows operating system was invented, the first copier ect... in other words my target clientèle are professionals who would likely do a search on the computer rather than look at a newspaper advertisement.

It's cheap when you factor it over the year as a monthly advertisement cost(below $20 a month)
  3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

It works great for me and I am no where near California
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I made my website for informational purposes. To outline my services, who I am, what I offer, lay out my guidelines and rules. I wanted it for those who were potential customers to learn more about the business and present a professional image before they even called. I also made it as a 'guidebook' if you will for current customers to cut down on a lot of redundant questions. I never really intended for it to be a major advertising tool, but it has turned out to be a great asset.

I include the website url on all advertising now. I started it in 2001, and it has slowly built up to a great selling tool. The first few years the website didn't get used much, but more and more I'm getting more traffic. This year I got more email requests for estimates than phone call requests. I love that. People who are emailing are people who have looked at the website and know a little about the biz before they even contact me. Plus, I can come home at the end of the day and answer those email after business hours, it doesn't take away from my work time making calls.

Plus, I have a page where I can make updates to my schedule and let people know what is going on with mowing, rain delays, days off, etc. I don't have to answer 10 phone calls about why I haven't been there yet, etc. All around it's a great tool for my business, but just 1 of many tools I use for advertising, information, etc.

5. godsey03

godsey03 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

thanks guys. Thats what I was thinking. Right now its not going to do a whole lot but be there to give info about the company, but later on it will be a huge asset toward our marketing campaign.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi godsey03,

I think it's a part of a larger picture and is important.
  7. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

I get at least one call a week from ours.

And, I've done 5 jobs since its been up and running from it.

It has paid for itself many times over.

our web site