1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EROSS17, Feb 23, 2001.

1. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I've been in the business for 4 years now and never really had to do a whole lot of advertising. I've always had pretty reliable "hook ups". But this year I'm going to advertise more. What's the best way you guys have found? How much do certain methods usually cost?
  2. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Ones you can do yourself and target a specific area I think work best as in actual dollar spent. You can put a big display ad in the paper, phone book, etc,.. but you will get calls from all over the area. For me I like to target a specific area where I already have accounts and use post cards, tri fold mailers or door hangers that I make myself on the computer and send out myself.

You can design a mailer that is tailored for a specific subdivision and add a actual intiser basic price for a standard yard in that addition. I see this as one simple yet sometimes over looked method by LCO's.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

My two boys are playin ball this season. One in c-ball the other in B-ball..i vollentered to make up a game program for each player on both teams when we play...you know player name
    age some ad space to rasie money and i get my logo on all programs . lets see we have 25-35 games 15 kids per team that's 2100times these people see my logo and name ...some 3 times a week .....i'll let you know how it goes..
  4. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

Do flyers...I feel it is the best bang for the buck...Target the homes you want. I wrote over $30,000 in estimates the last week and half. And it is just beginning.
  5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Flyers worked very very well for us last year, we got much more business then we had thought from them!

We had also used a couple adds in the local papares which worked out pretty well also.
  6. Pooners

Pooners LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

EROSS17...try the flyers!!! These folks know what their talking about. I've been reading Lawnsite for a year...never could come up with the "perfect" flyer. Finally..remembering what someone had wrote on this site.." doing something is better than doing nothing" (something like that). I put a flyer together, nothing great actually kinda goofy ...targeted a Private Estate area that's within 5 miles of my house (I already have one customer there). Had my two little boys go door-to-door. We passed out about 40 flyers yesterday. Had one call when I got back home and received 4 more today all asking for bids. Good Luck....and thanks everyone for the assistance.
  7. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Pooners, That is a pretty good return rate for you flyers!! Good work. I have allready put out about 2,000 flyers in my area and plan on putting out about 5,000 more. Worked great last year hope it dose agean this year. Pluse on of my freinds in the lawn business is puting out about 60,000 flyers in the mail and with a 1% return he will get more thatn he can handel so he is going to give us some of his lawns so i plan on having a good season just my 2 cents

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

The flyer route in my opinion is the best way to go.. Ray (Kirby) had a nice flyer he made up in publisher that you may want to check out. It was on a post or you can probably email him.
  9. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

i got prices from a coupon mailer for around 450 dollars they would mail 10,000 homes in a certain area. the catch was you had to do two mailings. so 900 dollars granted that is a lot of homes but i decided to go with flyers

it cost 35 dollars per 1000 on colored paper and black ink at Office Depot. this way i can be selective to the houses and areas that i choose. targeting areas that i already have
    accounts in. skip the houses that have dogs or unfavorable mowing conditions, etc.

i rolled up the flyer so that my name appeared on the outside so they would at least see what it was about, for the mailings not every one opens them.

so far i have acquired five new accounts for this year with two houses on one street within 3 houses of each other then another one a block away, then the other two are within 3 houses of each other as well i have also picked up 3 side jobs
  10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

60,000 flyers through the mail. That is alot of money for advertising.....Doing it yourself and getting (I think) a bulk rate that $10,000...WOW. I hope they have a secretary and a estimator with over 600 calls to handle all of them.

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 02-27-2001 at 08:51 PM]