1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by adam underwood, Dec 5, 2005.

1. adam underwood

adam underwood LawnSite Member

hey guys...
    im takin an advertising course this semester and my final project is to come up with a complete campaign for a business with a given budget. im going to be doing my landscaping business because i already have flyers, tshirts and lawnsigns and stuff.

i need to go all out, pick a target segment that i will be advertising to, establish goals for the campaign, and come up with sample ads. im giving myself a budget of $2000.00. im looking for fresh ideas, something out of the ordinary or effective.

any ideas? what has worked the best for you? anything fresh or unusual? do you advertise toward certain groups? has anyone ever used local radio or television commercials?

i appreciate any help
  2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Shouldn't you dig out of the white stuff before you even think about landscaping? :D

Direct mailing is a good start. Hit your target area a few times a season.
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

put on the flyers first mowing is free. That should get a lot of customers. And if they don't like the free mowing we will do another free one. :D
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

A frisbee with your name and number on it, drive throught the neighborhood tossing them on driveway, with a discount for calling. about 1000 bucks for about 1200 of them. Then with your next thousand, yard signs, about 250 for50 of them. Third, refferal coupons for free stuff for refferals, about 50 buck for 1000 of them. Then use the rest for truck signage.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yeah, I thought that would work also. In fact, I offered 3 free mowings. After having 30,000 flyers passed out and only picking up two accounts ( one refused to collect the 3 free mowings and told me so and the other never gave me the coupon), I won't try that stratedgy again. Personally, I think my flyers looked too professional. Full color and glossy. I wanted to project a professional image, but instead I think I projected an image that gave off a non-verbal message of "Choose me and I charge a lot". My next round of flyers will be less professional looking....black print on colored paper and maybe a couple of chessy looking clipart. I will still try and sale quality and professionalism, but along with affordability.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I totally agree with you, My best results have been with two color doorhangers on glossy paper. I noticed VERY few guys around here do full color, and customers don't really expect full color when looking for a mow and go company. two color works best for me, some even use black and white still.
  7. walker-talker

from Midwest

While I was passing out flyers, I would stop off at some garage sales and ask if I could leave a few on their cashiers table. I actully picked up some work from one of the owners of the garage sale. When I went back to do the work I made a point to ask if any took any flyers. He said that he had a couple people comment on how well they looked and responded with something like "Wow, those look very nice, that must be a big outfit and charges a bundle". I tell you this so that you know that my earlier post was not totally based on assumption.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our experts. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi walker-talker,

That is such a fascinating concept. This is one of those things that are just counter intuitive. You would think, the nicer the advertising material the more people will want my services but it seems not to be the case. People seem to react more to low cost looking marketing material.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>
  9. walker-talker

from Midwest

I recently became friends with one of my competitors that live in the same area as I. He said he printed out 60,000 flyers and had them delivered by boyscounts. He went onto to say that he had approx 600 calls off those and they were just black print on green paper. Now I don't know if he really had 600 calls, but what I do know is that he had to start up another crew to handle the new business.